Idea Details

Spectrum NCM GUI

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:00 AM
karl.haworth's profile image
08-09-2016 04:52 PM

I would like to submit a enhancement request for the NCM scripting section of the device families to include a GUI to input the expect() parameters. I currently have multiple vendor devices in Spectrum and they all have their own unique credentials along with unique prompts/verbiage. Separate device families were created to ease with these variables between vendors.

With the Cisco IOS SSH, NX-OS, and H3C scripting, the scripts are almost identical except for the prompts and expect() verbiage. They (1) login to the device with SSH, (2) wait for output with expect, (3) run commands, (4) output results. I would like to see a GUI for the expect() parameters.

I realize this can be done with custom perl scripting and 'Additional Script Parameters', but if CA included this out-of-the-box, there would be no Perl knowledge required and allow easier administration of the platform by less technical individuals.

Cisco devices, along with others, come with NCM functionality built-in, but the scripts used are embedded. The problem arises when you have a unsupported NCM device, such as H3C. Having a GUI for NCM expect() parameters would alleviate the need to learn Perl scripting and allow more devices to work with NCM out-of-the-box.

Comments

05-24-2018 12:02 PM

any progress for NCM GUI?

01-23-2018 12:58 PM

Thanks all for posting this idea, Apologize for the delays.

I have started reviewing this internally and will provide some update soon.

Thanks,
Sarbdeep Singh

Spectrum Product Management.

11-15-2017 10:50 PM

There are 55 votes for this idea now. Should we have an update on this soon? Thanks.

05-04-2017 09:24 AM

great idea

we are a multi-vendor shop also and have the same issues.

does the motion get carried?

04-07-2017 11:31 AM

Why is this idea still marked as new?  It has more than 30 votes.

02-13-2017 04:11 PM

It's worth noting that the regexp doesn't look at the whole config but the diff between the two configs, so you have to make sure that your regexp doesn't rely on surrounding lines for context.

01-23-2017 05:10 PM

travd93, use the 'Mask Configuration' section under the device family to mask out the date. Spectrum will then ignore that change. You'll have to create a regular expression to ignore this data.

The site RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx  helped me develop meaningful masks to ignore cryptokeys, configuration sizes, captured commands, and more. In the script, you can also specify where to start capturing, if it's too early.

01-22-2017 04:57 PM

I second this, It's very surprising to me that spectrum doesn't have a native way to do this without relying on device profiles. I'd also like to add that I find one other fault with using that script is that it outputs the current date which means every day our Configs have one line changed.. so we now have a whole feature we can't use.