Idea Details

NCM possibility to add devices to CA Device Families

Last activity 05-31-2019 08:59 PM
Olaf Schalenberg's profile image
10-31-2013 09:48 AM

at the moment it is not allowed to add a device to a CA Device Family.

This option is only available for self created Device Families.

But there are more and more Cisco devices which support ssh capture or the Cisco CopyConfigMib for managing configurations and firmware,

but don't fit to CA's  restricted search condition for the Cisco Device Families.

In such cases the CA Support advices to create a new Device Family and to develop your own scripts, even if the CA Device Family would work.

Not all Spectrum users are developers.

Please allow to add devices to CA developed Device Families.

Comments

02-14-2017 02:40 AM

And we're in 2017 and this has still not been reviewed. This idea seems like a small change but Spectrum customers would have a huge benefit from this.

05-11-2016 10:44 AM

Do you have any updates?

04-14-2016 09:25 PM

Hello OlafS,

The reviews are in progress. I understand it is taking time for some reasons. We have reviewed the other idea related to this i.e. Spectrum NCM - add unsupported devices to default device families

Also couple of other NCM ideas. We also posted the list of our review status which can be found here: Idea Updates for CA Spectrum

Thanks,

Nagesh 

04-14-2016 08:11 AM

one year has gone ....

when will be soon?

10-30-2015 01:35 PM

Sure OlafS. We will track both and will update you once these are reviewed.

Thanks,

Nagesh

10-30-2015 01:32 PM

in this case I would prefer to go on with both ...

Thanks,

Olaf

10-30-2015 12:52 PM

Hi OlafS,

Unfortunately we cannot merge the ideas. But if the idea appears similar then we can close one as duplicate. And we can track the item with higher number of votes.

Thanks,

Nagesh

10-29-2015 06:37 PM

Hi Nagesh,

does it make sense to merge this idea with

Spectrum NCM - add unsupported devices to default device families

The requests are nearly same and it would double the idea counters.

Regards,

Olaf

04-04-2015 06:57 AM

Thanks for posting idea for CA Spectrum. We will review this and will get back soon.

Thanks,

Nagesh

02-07-2015 07:36 AM

And if you create a custom family for a device whether is certified by Spectrum or not, don't you also have to use a custom perl script and you have to  configure to point to the perl installation in Spectrum.  Maybe I am just not seeing everything but in NCM, if you leave the device in the family that Spectrum puts it in and use one of the default scripts Spectrum gives you, you can backup the device with no issues.  The problem begins when you want to create a custom family and try to use the default scripts. Simply stated, does the creation of any custom family in NCM require you to a: create a custom perl script, and b: require you to point NCM to your perl installation on perl??

02-06-2015 05:16 PM

It's funny that you mention this - I was literally about to start a live chat about this very issue.

As an example, the Cisco 891FW router is not certified by Spectrum. In order to capture configs from it, I believe I'd need to create a custom device family. And because I've created a custom family, I need to create a script to pull the configs.

Ideally, we'd be able to make use of the existing ssh capture methods.