Idea Details

Software packages with already installed detection options

Last activity 21 days ago
Sergio Fernandez Marcos's profile image
01-18-2018 10:18 AM

Sometimes you create a Software Package to deploy to multiple computers, but it is expected that some of them have that software already installed by other means.

It would be great to have the option to add an already installed detection method, so the package doesn't fully execute but an installation record is added to the "Installed Packages" node.

Pre-detection methods could include:

• Check for registry key
  • Check for a file
  • MSI database query
  • Personalized script for detection (probably more difficult to implement)

The logic could be something like this:

1. Package installation order is sent to final agent
  2. Before downloading the full source of the package, the agent checks the pre-detection methods for that package
  3. If the agent detects the software as already installed, it sends a signal to the Scalability Server stating that it has correctly installed the package (this way, the rest of the Software Delivery process can remain unchanged).
  4. If the agent doesn't detect the software as already installed, it continues the standard Software Delivery process.

IMO, this has two main benefits:

1. You can save bandwidth, avoiding package download to the agent when it isn't needed. This is specially evident when deploying big packages.
  2. You can populate the "Installed Packages" without having to use workarounds as this: Mapping Discovered Software to Installed Packages 

I know that the detection login could be implemented in an installation script, but that would force the agent to download the full package before running that logic. With big packages this is very inefficient.

Comments

03-08-2018 06:44 AM

This idea is under consideration by the product team. Before this idea moves to the next stage (Currently Planned or Not Planned), I would like to invite community members to please provide additional input and/or vote. Please note that ideas can be moved from any stage to the Not Planned stage at CA’s discretion based on product direction, feasibility analysis or other factors.

03-08-2018 06:42 AM

This idea is under consideration by the product team. Before this idea moves to the next stage (Currently Planned or Not Planned), I would like to invite community members to please provide additional input and/or vote. Please note that ideas can be moved from any stage to the Not Planned stage at CA’s discretion based on product direction, feasibility analysis or other factors.

01-18-2018 01:03 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes that would work but I would posit that your method is even more work to configure than my previously documented method which uses an AM script to create the installation records and a text file to configure it.

I think it is high time we had this capability BUILT-IN to the product. As previously mentioned we already HAVE all the required data, it’s just an integration point to make intelligent use of it.

Also, by marking the installation record as NON-SD, similar to how the Intellirollups mark the already installed patches as NON-SD, we can have a record of products installed outside of our control, which may need to be uninstalled and potentially reinstalled with the correct procedures.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Principal Services Consultant

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

<mailto:Stephen.McCormick@ca.com>

01-18-2018 12:48 PM

I will posit that the much of what you are trying to achieve is currently possible within the product:

• The product allows for the creation of custom Software Categories (discovered software grouped together logically).
  • One could create a custom Software Category that "maps" to one or more existing discovered software items (regardless of method; heuristic, signature, Intellisig).
  • Create a Query of machines not having discovered software belonging to your custom Software Category.
  • When creating a new Software Package Procedure, identify that query as a Prerequisite.
  • If the query condition is not fulfilled for a computer, the job for that computer is marked as failed.
  • This does not create Installation Records, but that could be done through alternate means, if necessary for other reasons.
  • You could also have another Software Package Procedure without the Prerequisite Query, for those times when you do want to do an installation because you prefer your environment to be more standardized.

01-18-2018 11:40 AM

Sorry, didn’t notice that. I voted for your idea, I think it would be great to have some built-in mechanism to pre-check and populate a package based on definable criteria.

However I don’t think it should be necessary to create a NEW method to discover packages. I think we ought to pursue this as an integration point between AM (discovered software) and SD, since we already have the data for discovered software AND a mechanism to define new signatures. At the Domain Manager level, to be able to specify ‘this package equals this discovered software’, and pre-populate installation records based on that specification, would be awesome and probably relatively easily done since the data is already there. If we could do that, it would not even be necessary to send any part of the package to an end system, the installation record would just be populated based on existing data or newly discovered software so it would be self-maintaining.

My suggestion then would be to:

•   Add a checkbox ‘Package maps to discovered software’.

•   When checked, a dialog box opens and presents an option to choose from one of the following:

•   A list of all current discovered software.

•   A list of all current signatures.

•   When the package is sealed, the system should select ALL computers which already have this software discovered, and add an installation record for the package.

•   Also need to add a flag to the software signature so that when software inventory subsequently discovers the software, an installation record is added automatically.

•   Also, if the box is NOT checked, but a signature is added when the package is sealed, the connection should be made between the package and the signature.

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com

01-18-2018 11:06 AM

I mentioned that in my post. I'm suggesting something more versatile.

01-18-2018 10:30 AM

See the following:

https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231174722-mapping-discovered-software-to-installed-packages

Steve McCormick, ITIL

CA Technologies

Stephen.McCormick@ca.com