Idea Details

Remove SPS Location Dependency "/opt/etc/CA"

Last activity 06-20-2018 11:46 PM
JoshPerlmutter's profile image
05-20-2015 02:03 PM

I understand the need for a common location file, but let the clients decide where to place it.

This is a headache at my site as we do not have permission to write outside of /app/

I am requesting the enhancement that you remove any dependency on a predetermined location

tyia

Comments

06-20-2018 11:46 PM

Now, feature is available with CA SSO 12.8

03-19-2018 01:25 PM

Hi Herb.  Do you know if there is any plan to put this into an SP of 12.7?  We are looking at using AG for the first time along with our 12.7 upgrade but we cannot wait for 12.8.

Thanks

12-15-2017 11:49 AM

Thank you for your contribution of an enhancement idea to the CA Community. CA is continually working to improve its software and services to best meet the needs of its customers. Your input is vital to that effort. The CA Single Sign-On Product Management team has reviewed your suggested enhancement and is pleased to inform you we have decided to incorporate your idea. We are projecting the GA of this idea in CA SSO 12.8.  We will update you if we are also able to provide this in a Service Pack release on an earlier version.  Thank you for your contribution to the progress of CA Single Sign-On. 

12-01-2017 07:01 AM

HI Ravi,

this sounds good to me.

-Josh

12-01-2017 05:03 AM

Hi All,

Please conform the below proposal would work for you? 

AG installer will ask the user to provide the path (for ex: /home or /app1) to store Access Gateway instance details in a file. It will also allow the non-root user to continue the installation to provide the path with write permissions to store the instance details.   When user upgrades AG next time, user needs to enter this path so that the installer can read the file and populate the list of instances.

During upgrade from earlier version, if a different path will be provided other than /opt, then the pre-requisite is to copy the existing AG <instance name>/ca-sps-version.infofile from /opt to the destination folder to list the existing Access Gateway instances

Any early feedback by 4/Dec is welcome!!!

Thanks

SSO Product Team 

10-06-2017 10:30 AM

Hello everyone.  I thought I'd share one workaround that works for me.

Use sudo to create /opt/etc directory and then change ownership of that directory to the user that will install SPS:

sudo mkdir /opt/etc

sudo chown smuser.smuser /opt/etc

Then run your SPS install as smuser (or other non root user)

09-07-2016 05:51 PM

We have moved this into the under review category as we start looking at potential candidates for a future release.

02-17-2016 12:42 PM

Yes I agree, For few organization /opt is no longer used for installation. I understand SPS wants to write /opt for maintaining count and its useful for upgrading SPS easily.

Instead of using /opt/CA, Can we use the install_config_info folder? as we would only have one binary and multiple instances.

Making this enhancement puts everything in one place, and its very helpful for us.

12-15-2015 02:28 PM

my guess is that you had temporary access to that undesired predetermined location. we do not have that luxury

12-01-2015 02:38 PM

I ran into a similar issue recently with an upgrade to SPS. I wrote a script to force install onto a desired location instead of a predetermined one.

10-30-2015 05:04 AM

Thank you for your contribution of an enhancement idea to the CA Community. CA is continually working to improve its software and services to best meet the needs of its customers. Your input is vital to that effort. The CA Single Sign-On Product Management team has reviewed your enhancement suggestion and decided to maintain the idea for possible consideration in a future release. The Community will continue to be able to vote on this enhancement idea.

08-27-2015 12:28 PM

Yes, no more 'root' level access requirements for SPS or any other security products. It adds an audit and compliance headache.

08-26-2015 03:54 PM

rise to the visible area!!

05-26-2015 10:48 AM

Thank you for your contribution of an enhancement idea to the CA Community.   CA is continually working to improve its software and services to best meet the needs of its customers.  Your input is vital to that effort.  The CA Single Sign-On Product Management team is reviewing your enhancement suggestion.  The Community will continue to be able to vote on this enhancement idea

05-20-2015 04:27 PM

This can be tough for sites which require all application data be stored in specific locations not just because of getting the proper rights to a directory but also for the exclusion documentation required and the additional steps when cleaning up or removing software.