Idea Details

Upgrade to Visual Studio 2012 (or later if available)

Last activity 12 days ago
websydian.niels's profile image
02-13-2014 07:01 AM

I know this is not really an idea but lets get it out there so we can get to vote on it or give our opinion.

Please note before voting that most likely we will need to gen/build everything when upgrading to new version of visual studio and there is not much CA can do about it (as I see it)

I would also recommend if this upgrade is to be done that we move to a more Java/C# way of compiling the source code and not having to start Visual Studio.

My concern is that al ready today getting hold of Visual Studio 2005 is hard and the fact that a special fix was required in order for it to operate correctly under Windows 7 / 8

Comments

07-07-2016 06:32 PM

Dear Community,

CA Plex 7.2.1 Beta is currently available to customers participating in the CA Plex Customer Validation program hosted on Validate.ca.com.  This version support Microsoft VS 2013.  See my other notes we did try to get to VS 2015 but were unable to due to issues in VS 2015. 

This Idea seems to have several Ideas in it.  If the new CA Plex 7.2.1 release will not provide for all of the features discussed in this Idea then please post a new idea and refer back to this Idea.

Steve...

02-22-2016 10:56 AM

End of extended support for VS 2005: 4/12/2016

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=3041&wa=wsignin1.0

05-21-2015 05:46 AM

Upgrade to Visual Studio 2015, some news on this can be found at  https://communities.ca.com/message/241794786#241794786

(I'm finally beyond caring and thank you MW1 for taking part in the CA Plex Office Hours)

05-21-2015 04:54 AM

We have the same issues for 3 new customers

05-21-2015 04:53 AM

Would it be a good approach to work on a step by step replacement?

drop the COM interface to Visual Studio completely - it adds no value and if anything slows down compilation.

switch to Msbuild approach like the C# builds.

Would it be posible to share the technical challanges you are facing, may be the comunity can help CA out finding a fast solution!

02-19-2015 10:53 AM

Hey Dean,

I am terribly sorry for the delay in reply.

The idea of Incremental Releases is that you can deliver slices of value in a GA Release, without having to wait for the Complete Release.

E.g. Product X might have Release A.B.

Release A.B might have four big slices of work in L,M,N,O.

We might use Incremental Releases to deliver those slices.

Product X. Release A.B (Incremental Release 1) - Contains slice L.

Product X. Release A.B (Incremental Release 2) - Contains slice M.

Product X. Release A.B (Incremental Release 3) - Contains slice N.

Product X. Release A.B (Complete Release) - Contains slice O.

NOTE: We won't use "Incremental Release" on the download page. You'll just get the latest version, which is identified by GEN Level. Plex r7.2 "Incremental Release 1" has Gen Level "INC00".

The trade off is, is that if you want to get Slice L via an Incremental Release, you can, but you will be expected to move up to the next Incremental or Complete Release if/when it becomes available. I.e. We will not be supporting zillions of Incremental Releases.

As to Plex r7.2, we are currently planning Incremental Release 2. NOTE: All features and dates are subject to change and withdrawal. Team is currently working on some Continuous Improvement initiatives in a bid for Engineering Excellence. Watch this space...

Cheers,

Simon

Product Owner: CA App Services Orchestrator, CA Plex & CA 2E.

01-13-2015 03:22 PM

Hi Simon,

Since the Plex r7.2 incremental release was just announced, I was surprised to see you mention a Plex r7.2 complete release.  Will there be additional r7.2 incremental releases before the complete release?  I guess I was assuming the version numbers would change with each incremental release, but apparently that isn't the case.  Could you expound a little more on the incremental versus complete releases?  Thanks.

Dean Eshleman,

Everence Financial

01-12-2015 10:05 AM

Hey there Markus,

NOTE: All features and dates are subject to change and withdrawal.

CA Plex r7.2 (Complete Release) is planned for Q2 CY 2015.

CA Plex r8.0 might be a 12 month release cycle to Q2 CY 2016, potentially with Incremental Releases delivered along the way.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Sr Principal Product Manager

Product Owner: CA App Services Orchestrator / CA Plex / CA 2E

Twitter: @simoncockayne
CA Technologies | 2291 Wood Oak Dr. | Herndon, VA 20171-2823
Office: +1 703 708 3042 | simon.cockayne@ca.com

09-19-2014 03:14 AM

Hi Simon,

Like Markus I am very interested in the timing of r8.0 for this specific reason.

We are building a brand new Plex development site in Botswana and currently have to find and install VS 2005 which is a little embarassing.

After sucessfully selling Plex as the cutting edge development tool of choice to my new employers they are a little perplexed as to why their new environment requires 'old' software to perform the builds.

Best regards,

Mark

09-12-2014 10:08 AM

Hi Simon

This are great news Is there already an idea when r8.0 could be available? I know, it's all subject to change, but it would be nice to have at least a date when it could be available at the earliest

08-28-2014 04:36 PM

Hey folks,

This idea is currently planned to be delivered in Plex r8.0, which should follow Plex r7.2.

NOTE: All features and dates are subject to change and withdrawal.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Sr Principal Product Manager

Product Owner: CA App Services Orchestrator / CA Plex / CA 2E

Twitter: @simoncockayne
CA Technologies | 2291 Wood Oak Dr. | Herndon, VA 20171-2823
Office: +1 703 708 3042 | simon.cockayne@ca.com

05-15-2014 03:04 PM

I vote for your arguments:
<<Relating on an out-of-date library is a no-go for every product. Or it's not oriented to the future.>>
<<Migrating to C#/WPF has other issues, economical and technical.>>

05-13-2014 02:21 PM

things are on the move...big time
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/IntroducingASPNETVNext.aspx

I think this announcement should be taken with interest on the CA side too.

This is definently related on this agenda too as MS is targeting whole dotnet-thingy to a new levels regarding compiling and runtimes.

Should Plex be dependent on Visual Studio or what when targeting MS based technologies is a big question.

05-13-2014 11:11 AM

I voted for this ieda because I see a gain: It is a prerequisite for my customer to be sure that the application works tomorrow too. What happens if Microsoft releases some Windows update which forces the old, end of life MFC version to fail my application? This is not a theoretical issue, it happened at my former company (with a different product). It's impossible to prevent my customers from installing an official Windows update.

Relating on an out-of-date library is a no-go for every product. Or it's not oriented to the future.

Migrating to C#/WPF has other issues, economical and technical.

So, I strongly vote for removing this limitation. I'm sure the effort for CA wouldn't be too much (I agree with kappasvaan). Otherwise I see my investment in my application in danger.

05-08-2014 05:27 PM

I would like CA to outline what things would be supported that are in the present VS as opposed to 2005.

I am not interested as a developer of upgrading if there is no gain. And I can't say the community has done themselves any favours by not asking for example for CommandLink buttons or SplitButtons support that came out post 2005, I have got them to work through hacks etc but I would like to know what new things will be supported in the panel editor to harness the present VS as opposed to the ten year old one.

I am interested as a person who earns a living using plex that it exists and this means the tool like all other tools must upgrade over time or risk looking under invested, so with this hat on I would like an upgrade and infact expect the upgrade to not have a ten year gap

I see the rebuild as a non issue - who would expect not to rebuild in any programming language

I see the getting hold of a copy of 2005 as a non issue as all the sites I have been to have it...The new sales.....would most likely go WPF as the microsoft strategic choice. With my cheap hat on I'm sure for many more years to come there will be ways of using 2005 on windows. devils advocate.

If an upgrade occurs I would like to see it supported in the IDE as a setting. I am of the opinion the sites i know of would actually choose to stay at 2005 as their winc panels are sunsetting.

Now ask me this question 5 whole years ago then my general feeling would have been a resounding yes with which ever hat on, but now its a case of make do.

05-08-2014 03:44 PM

Indeed we need to upgrade. Regenerate and recompile is a minor issue compared to the growing obsolescense of Plex applications in the context of Windows clients. The matter is the scope of migration. I want to discuss on several items to be affected:
1. ActiveX, OLE, .COM: what impact?
2. VBA for Office, still valid?
3. Win32 API/WinRT, limitations, changes, impact?
4. Native source code, maybe some kind of diagnostic would be required at generation time

05-08-2014 03:22 AM

Hi Niels
I didn't vote yet, and maybe it requires some discussion here, but weighting pros and cons, the switch to c# is not for free: we need to add to the transicion the cost of new Plex generator licenses. And wonder if there is a plain regeneration, or a full paradigm change...

02-28-2014 02:21 AM

To align it more to way Visual Studio and .Net framework have been packaged today, C++/C# compiling should be only dependent of MSBuild.

MSBuild comes along with VS installation but can also be installed as stand-alone software. This allows more flexibility as there's not always need for VS on build machine.

Since C#/WCF compiling is already using MSBuild-based proj-files, it shouldnt be too drastic change.

See more of MSBuild http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd393574.aspx

02-17-2014 09:58 AM

As for Moving up to a later version on C++ Visual Studio at what point will VS 2005 become obsolete all together and be unsupported by a Windows OS?

It is not only that, but from what I can tell Microsoft is moving the development platform to a cloud based version. Can Plex do the same?

02-13-2014 07:17 AM

One thing I have been thinking about (my own opinion) is that if I need to gen and build everything when moving to C++ Visual Studio 2012 and not really getting anything out of it, would I not consider switching to C# and thereby get to a new platform (,Net) and at the same time be more on track on what Microsoft is thinking is the future.
What do you think?