We have several customer request regarding the possibility to define in RA global parameters which can be shared and used inside the different application process design.
A recent customer has the following structure in a tiers solution:
- Linux parameters (ex AppInstallPath, Datapath,...)
- Windows parameters (ex AppInstallPath, Datapath,...)
- Common resources (ex LDAP Server, Artifactory Server,...)
- Application X parameters = inheritance or replace of global parameters (Linux, Windows) + application local specific parameters
- Application Y parameters = inheritance or replace of global parameters (Linux, Windows) + application local specific parameters
The idea is to be able to change a Global parameter and to have applications benefiting / inheriting easily.
Currently with the actual parameter structure in RA, there is no possibility (besides using external datasources or manifest) to fetch and use these global parameters. Customers would not like to have multiple parameter sources (RA, Manifests,...) which can be difficult to maintain.
Wouldn't it be useful de have in RA a 3 level parameter structure such as Global - Application - Component? where Global includes parameters sharable across all applications with possibility to inherit, replace the global default values inside the applications if needed.