Idea Details

Support Flow Cloner on Linux Harvester

Last activity 12 days ago
Justin_Kulikowski's profile image
09-09-2013 10:26 AM

Currently the Flow Cloner is only supported on the Windows Harvester.

Please bring this functionality to the Linux Harvester.

Comments

03-23-2017 04:21 PM

Unbelievable, I just realized that this tread is from 2013 and still no Flow Cloner on Linux? Seems to me that CA is not taking this very seriously. Not good!

Marko Popovich

Verizon

03-23-2017 04:16 PM

Hopefully we will see this project go live soon. The fact that we have to use a 3rd party app (CA competitor, btw) to get this job done is not in CA's best interest. This is another reason we are looking at other, more permanent, vendors for this function, like Plixer.

In fact, Plixer made an update in their Flow Cloner based on our request, so that we can not only Clone but also dictate where some Flows go and other's do not (in other words, allowing for "if this IP, "ifelse this IP", and "else this IP" functionality). This is very important if we want to balance the Harvesters without having to touch the network devices simply by pointing one source IP's Flow to a different Harvester instead of the default Harvester.

Marko Popovich

Verizon

07-01-2015 09:58 PM

We are planning on supporting Rhel 6.x in the next release after r9.3.2.  We do not support Flow Cloning on Linux because of the current difference in flows per min supported on the Linux Harvester vs. the Windows Harvester.  Adding flow cloner on top of the current Linux harvester would not yield acceptable flow rate support for our enterprise customer base.  As we increase performance on the Linux harvester we will look at having in a Linux solution for Flow Cloning.

09-25-2014 08:38 AM

Thanks, I will try this out.

I would just use iptables' "--tee" option through Xtables-addons – Netfilter/Xtables (iptables) extensions , but the iptables version on RHEL 5.6 is not supported (too low), and CA Netflow Harvestor does not support RHEL 6.x where I could install "--tee". What a mess.

09-24-2014 09:15 AM

I agree!

09-24-2014 09:06 AM

I'd wish CA would have the NFA console on Linux.

09-24-2014 08:52 AM

It's unacceptable that the installation guide does not mention what features are not available on Linux installs. We have interest in flow cloner after a deployment and now I'm here.

I should have known CA is not really committed to the Linux install when the Linux directions include "install to C:\"

Verify or specify the installation directory:

1. (Optional) Click Choose in the Choose Install Folder screen to change the installation location.The default location is C:\CA\NFA. We recommend that you install CA Network Flow Analysis components on a partition that is dedicated to CA Network Flow Analysis. The NFA console will be installed to the same directory that you choose for the Harvester.