Idea Details

Components automatically installable and configurable

Last activity 05-29-2019 10:26 PM
Benoit Boulc'h's profile image
10-12-2018 07:45 AM

Hello,

With DevTest 10.3, we made an Ansible script to deploy EDB and other components automatically and to configure them (using silent installation, services,  .xml/.properties/.vmoptions files).

We'd like to do it for Virtual Service Catalog and Identity and Access Manager. But it is not possible because :

- there is no silent installation (only a graphic one or a CLI one)

- applications cannot be started as service

- vmoptions does not take care of -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true for IAM

- I'm not sur that the LDAP configuration can be done directly in a configuration file (.properties, .xml...)

This could be a good improvement for Continuous Deployment

Best regards,

Benoit

Comments

01-19-2019 10:02 AM

Hi Babu,

Thanks for writing this out and reminding us of this functionality.

I guess you are right that this is not documented. It is however a documented feature of the install4j solution (for creating installers) which is a product used internally by DevTest.

We just have to remember, if a DevTest component is installed (under the covers) with install4j than we also have the silent install feature available to us. With install4j there will be an .install4j subdirectory within the component's install directory, and inside you will find a .varfile (containing your installation choices) which can be used as a template for a silent install .varfile.

Thanks,

Danny

01-18-2019 01:01 PM

After some trial and error, I was able to silently install Virtual Service Catalog , with DevTest 10.3. Looks like this is a undocumented feature. 

Command: vscatalog_win_x64.exe -q -varfile response_vsc.varfile

Contents of response_vsc.varfile

# install4j response file for DevTest-Virtual Service Catalog (DevTest 10.3)
caAgreementChoice=2
createDesktopLinkAction$Boolean=true
sys.installationDir=C:\\Program Files\\CA\\vscatalog

Hope this helps

12-22-2018 11:24 AM

Thanks Benoit, I was able to make progress with me.

Regards,

Atishay

12-21-2018 07:41 AM

Hello Atishay,

I won't share the playbooks. But I can share our guidelines if it can be usefull for you.

Best regards.

Benoit

12-15-2018 03:53 PM

Dear Benoit_B

We are also trying to use Ansible for configuration of DevTest. If possible can you direct me to your ansible playbooks to get the headstart?

Thanks & Regards,

Atishay