Idea Details

Include One-click SOAP-to-REST conversions into CA API Gateway

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:02 AM
Nicolas.Afonso's profile image
10-12-2015 08:29 AM

Hi folks !

A lots of entreprise adopted SOA in the past and use SOAP web services for exposing data. But we all know today that digital transformation must lead them to migrate to RESTful services ...

I learned that CA already have a dedicated product to perform such "one click SOAP to REST conversion" : CA App Services Orchestrator - CA Technologies. Nevertheless it is a different product from API Gateway, with its own licence : quite disapointing for a very basic API Gateway operation !

It will be very nice that App Services Orchestrator services will be integrated into CA API Gateway next releases

Comments

10-02-2018 08:37 AM

that will be very helpful for many of our customers and use cases as there are still many backend soap services in enterprises. 

09-21-2018 11:16 PM

I met problem same EdwardKuenen , Please help me 

07-27-2018 08:30 AM

That will help alot. Gread idea !!!!

01-09-2018 05:07 PM

Need this capability to integrate CA IDM/Identity suite product for web services connector development and endpoint integration. Looking for collaboration for this initiative https://communities.ca.com/thread/241790266 as well.

Regards,

Nikhil

09-22-2017 03:15 PM

Great EdwardKuenen, thanks for the example.  I have added it to the story for this feature.

Incidentally, there seems to be another issue open in our backlog, with what appears to be the same problem - and a sample policy that might be applicable as a workaround.  Have you opened a ticket with our support team regarding this issue before?

-Aaron

09-22-2017 02:58 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback that you've given on this functionality so far.  "SOAP to REST" is a fairly broad topic, and I get the impression that many people are going to be looking for different things in this regard.  Given that the Gateway supports both SOAP and REST (independently), I'm interested to know:

• what problems you are experiencing, that could be solved by a better conversion process within the Gateway itself
  • what business workflows do you want to satisfy, that require you to do a protocol transfer of this nature.
  • what features or enhancements do you feel would better help you to solve these problems

These types of discussions would go a long way to helping us determine what features and functionality we should consider adding to the Gateway in order to help customers do what they need to do.

Please reach out to me directly, aaron.flint@ca.com, and I'll be happy to schedule a call with you.  If there is enough interest I may try to have a larger forum to discuss.

- Aaron

09-22-2017 01:28 PM

Hi Aaron, no problem. I will simplify the example.Hope it is clear to you.

We have the xsd:

<xs:schema xlmns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<xs:element name="root">

<xs:complexType>

<xs:sequence>

<xs:element name="value" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="unbounded" />

</xs:sequence>

</xs:complexType>

</xs:element>

</xs:schema>

When you have the xml

<root>

<value>String</value>

<value>String2</value>

</root>

The api gateway transformed it correctly in

{"root":{"value":["String","String2"]}}

But if the xml is

<root>

<value>String</value>

</root>

it will be transformated to

{"root":{"value":"String"}}

It is no array anymore.

It should be an array if it has knowlegde of the schema.

{"root":{"value":["String"]}}

09-22-2017 01:12 PM

hi EdwardKuenen, can you provide some more information around your use case?  do you have a sample XML message (and expected JSON message) that you can provide to assist us?

- Aaron

03-16-2017 05:53 PM

Please use a schema for the transition from xml to json. The current xml to json assertion can not create an array of one value because of missing a Json schema / Swagger / XSD.

05-27-2016 11:10 AM

Hi there Abhishek,

SOAP-REST

Thanks ever so much for sharing your thoughts.

It's wonderful to hear that you feel that SOAP to REST is a problem that folks still need help with...and therefore our team is building something that matters to you.

APIM Customer Collaboration program

I'd LOVE to have you apply to join the APIM Customer Collaboration program and help us explore and build our Orchestrator capability.

You can register here: ca.com/apicollab

Participants of the program can get hold of code-drops (for validation and collaboration) and attend sprint reviews (and see recordings).

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Happiness Nurturer

Product Management | Developer Products

CA Technologies | Herndon, VA

P: +1 703 708 3042 | M: +1 434 218 8459 | simon.cockayne@ca.com

Twitter: @simoncockayne

05-27-2016 05:46 AM

Hi Simon,

I have worked in multiple APIM solutions. I can relate CA APIM to other products & find that SOAP to REST is a key missing feature. It is not a feature which will be needed on the long run but, today we have a need to patch the heterogeneous architectures.  Some of the basic necessities are -

1- Apply Restfull principles. Ascertain the resource access method. Do away with payload for Get & replace them with Query params.

2- Least effort for Developer . We need CA APIM to create & accept a Restfull JSON/XML schema for a WSDL. A developer should not be expected to write XSLT.

3- Keep the auto generated polices open for modification. The modification process should also be simplified to make sure the developer spends least effort to get things moving.

Thanks,

Abhishek

05-23-2016 10:26 AM

Hi there Nicolas, et al,

We are exploring if/how we can integrate SOAP-REST orchestration into our API Management portfolio.

I'd love for anyone who wants to help us collaborate on this exploration, to come and join the APIM Customer Collaboration program.

You can register here: ca.com/apicollab

We have a sprint review for Orchestrator this Thursday (May 26th) 09:05-09:55 ET. Any accepted participant can attend.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Cockayne

Happiness Nurturer

Product Management | Developer Products

CA Technologies | Herndon, VA

P: +1 703 708 3042 | M: +1 434 218 8459 | simon.cockayne@ca.com

Twitter: @simoncockayne

02-09-2016 06:21 PM

when it will be available ? my vote for it.

12-17-2015 11:02 PM

I also like to see that