Idea Details

CA Spectrum Advanced Training

Last activity 06-20-2017 10:01 AM
Frank Tonjes's profile image
03-18-2015 05:22 AM

Most of the more advanced concepts from Spectrum that I know is information I have had to find out myself and got help from various places and people, and in some cases there is so much I still need/want to know but it's not available.

I usually open up support issues but it would be great to have a set of advanced courses in which you can learn the more advanced things like:

How to use RESTFul (I find the current documentation doesn't cut it on this subject). I've come to grips with a lot of this, but still not sure if I'm doing it the most optimal way (or the 'CA recommended' way). There are for example a lot of attributes and relations you have to go into MTE to find and work out how to use. Use a real scripting language to provide proper examples. Many people who ask me always ask me what to do with the XML files which you get when installing a OneClick server (the RESTFul Examples one).

How to turbo-charge your OneClick interface (granted we all want HTML5! but this would be nice.) Looking at 'real-world' type scenarios like changing tables, adding custom info, etc.

Using Model Type Editor (Design and Maintenance of Custom Attributes and relations and how to deal with these during upgrades, etc).

CORBA Not sure about this one, but if it is much faster and more efficient to use CORBA, then have a course explaining the concepts and intro to how to use this. I'm not saying teach us the whole CORBA language, but have an intro course at least with working examples of real code.

I've been on a lot of Spectrum Courses and while they are good they seem to deal with the beginner/operator level with even the advanced courses not covering enough of the subjects above.

If anyone has other subjects they wish to add please do so!

Perhaps an alternative would be to have a 'deep dive' session where you can meet up with devs for a week (like a paid course) but devs look at what you want to do and go through it. i.e. small class of 4-5 people and each person asks 'how to do X' and then the devs go through this. The devs also go through some info they think is beneficial.

Comments

06-20-2017 10:01 AM

Hi lutelewis,

I agree CORBA might be one of the last things I would personally look at, currently the REST API with python is what I'm using (moving over from perl -> python). I hadn't looked at python before and was looking for faster interaction with Spectrum, but found most of these are mainly Spectrum architecture issues (specifically the one 'discover connections' per landscape que, some info not being available e.g. events, etc - which CORBA might not really do much better anyway. There's a lot of work going on for the Analytics piece that CA are developing so I think the API's will get a lot better and more info will become available.

Regards,

Frank

06-20-2017 08:51 AM

I've done some intermediate CORBA programming and I'd recommend having a solid understanding of REST/VNMSH/EventProcedures beforehand. I only use CORBA when all other methods are not feasible/efficient.

VNMSH: high level command line interface to simplified CORBA calls, can use any programming language

REST: web API interface to intermediate CORBA calls, can use any programming language

Event Procedures: pretty close to low level CORBA calls, but has a limited set of functions, can only use Spectrum Events

CORBA: exactly what the spectrum source code is calling. CA provides well documented Java examples, CA only tells you how to use C with a 3rd party license cost, and if you can get other languages to work then Spectrum is way below your pay grade.

It would take a hour+ presentation just going over the source code needed for "how to show what LAN container a device is in" through all those APIs. That's a hard sell for advanced Spectrum users since on the surface it's such a simple thing, but most of the building blocks would be covered. The advanced CORBA uses are going to be environment use case specific.

06-08-2017 04:14 AM

Would be great to get another update as last update was 22 April last year! More than a year and still no feedback!

06-07-2017 09:46 AM

I'd pay good money for a "Spectrum for Dummies" book.

04-27-2016 02:50 AM

Thanks for the update Vern. Good to know it's being looked at!

04-22-2016 10:22 AM

HI Frank,

We are considering all of this once we finish up on the 10.1 release work.  This cycle we were focused on developing OnDemand versions of all the ILTs, so they can be taken in a self-directed manner.    At the same time, my team also works on UIM, so we are quite busy with that as well.

So net-new training will be developed during the Q3 timeframe.  We are still analyzing that, and should have more to say soon.

04-21-2016 03:56 AM

Hi Vern,

Do you have any updates regarding this training at all yet? We are very keen to see what you guys have come up with!

Regards,

Frank

02-15-2016 05:19 PM

I'll throw my hat into the ring also.  We are also a highly customized shop and I would like to see these 3 things in no particular order:

1. Classes or documentation on event management when not utilizing ECE.  Solely relying on the raw files edited and maintained manually and the control and flexibility you gain by doing so.
  2. Bring back the greenbooks.
  3. Resurrect DevBuddy.

02-15-2016 07:54 AM

Thanks vern_perlango.

If you need any details/specifics please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Thanks welge for finding this for me. I tried to find it but wasn't able to

Frank

02-15-2016 07:13 AM

Thanks for the update this would be a really valuable course to have.

12-10-2015 09:33 AM

Thanks for these Ideas....

We are just about to start reviewing the spectrum educaiton, and will take these under consideration!

11-25-2015 04:04 AM

Thanks Kiran,

I remembered we spoke about this at CA World and thought I'd just bump it up.

Regards,

Frank

11-25-2015 03:54 AM

There you go Mr. Tonjes

Also, please refer the other post on "education" I made today morning. We are genuinely looking at different aspects of it.

We should have marked this "Under Review" long back - better late than never..

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

11-25-2015 03:33 AM

Bumping this one up - 46 and still not 'under review'

10-16-2015 04:15 AM

I would be interested in a tutorial on MULTICAST Manager and monitoring.

thanks,

Veronique

09-16-2015 01:52 PM

I agree with others on this one - especially regarding distributed vs.non-distributed environments.

09-16-2015 05:10 AM

Agree with Frank on this. I would be particularly interested in COBRA advanced level as that seems the black arts to a lot of us.

07-30-2015 04:45 AM

Over 30 votes now - any feedback would be great. This has been a 'New' idea for some time now!

04-18-2015 09:35 AM

great! I could second that all.

I did a lot of stuff in the past 5 Years... the admin and customization courses and a MTE-Cours (where nothing was working as expected)

A MTE-Training would be great.

From my expirience, to use Corba with Java in JSPs at the Tomcat was the fastest way to access the Data in Spectrum and to integrate new functions.

I use the REST-API via Javascript (AJAX-Load) which works great at the tomcat too and uses the Authentication of the user which simplifies it a lot.

To simplify and shorten the trainings, I recommend to implement all Corba/Rest-Examples at the Tomcat-Server as simplified JSPs or HTML/Javascript-Implementations. .. that´s way my own HTML5-Client is nearly ready to go.

For spectrum-customers I provided a 3day-SQL-Training years ago where we used the SRMDBAPI to get data. This was a comfort way too as long as SRM works.

Regards

Erich

04-17-2015 01:59 PM

Other subjects which would be great would be:

Spectrum Architecture - How it all works under the hood. Especially the undocumented bits!

Optimizing and Tweaking Spectrum in a Distributed and non-distributed environment (could include CA best practices).

Spectrum Subscriptions - how to enable and mange these using REST. To be honest this looks a lot better than Alarm Notifier but there's not enough documentation on it.

04-14-2015 09:44 AM

I agree, this is a good idea !

For five years I have been working on making spectrum custimizations and integrations with others software monitoring, and is very few knowledge i have obtained from the official manuals, most was self-investigation or with another colleagues.

Regards

Diego

04-11-2015 01:01 PM

What would really be nice CA is for you to be open about how you use your own products monitor your own network and applications. Surely you eat your own dog food as the term goes.  I'd like to me more documentation dealing with actual operations and not concepts.  Why not update the Service Assurance Green Book?  NetQos had some good best practice guides on how to use products such as ADA but they are not current.

04-10-2015 09:07 AM

Thanks Kiran, looking forward to the EMEA event!

04-10-2015 08:47 AM

Ok team - couple of things. We are seriously looking at Web Client for Operators. Stay tuned to the 21st April webcast, where along with 10.0 features, I will also talk about what is our thought on the Web Client part.

Definitely - we could do more topics - we will also plan videos, as well as a community webcast on these topics.

For the EMEA Event, we do have MTE as one of the topics. We don't have a dedicated session per se for CORBA and REST - but given we have time, let me see if we can do something realistically. If not, we will have the right technical people available for an open discussion on this topic.

Regards,

Kiran Diwakar

03-19-2015 12:39 PM

The Customising OneClick one was good but they didn't really go through the more advanced things I would have liked, such as changing the colors of some of the cells in the alarms view based on some attributes and also adding new performance counters for other things - like for example being able to look at QoS stats polled in real time on the performance counter. like the traps per second on a landscape model.

03-19-2015 12:15 PM

I agree. I took Spectrum Optimization and Customization class where they did cover customizing OneClick interface, but not the other topics. I think they should also add Southbound Gateway, Event Procedures and Condition Correlation concepts too. Even the instructor you taught me agreed on that.

03-18-2015 10:03 AM

I agree.  I’ve taken the Customization class, but I need more information about event management.  I see so many posts about using REST, but I’ve got no clue how to do that, or if I need to.  Training in advanced concepts like these would be very helpful.

Thanks

03-18-2015 07:59 AM

I'm hoping the upcoming IM Tech event for EMEA in May will include some session at that level. At least that is one of the reasons to try and get a tech event organized in the first place.