Idea Details

right click copy/paste

Last activity 06-13-2019 10:06 AM
Anon Anon's profile image
04-01-2011 10:32 AM

Ability to use mouse to right click copy and paste.

Comments

10-18-2017 02:52 PM

All -  You are able to copy/paste via mouse or keyboard shortcuts in the xFlow interface. This is supported in other browsers as well.

10-17-2017 10:56 PM

Agreed really basic and silly not to have copy and paste functionality.  I don't care how hard it is it needs to get done. 

08-07-2015 03:18 AM

once idea was released in 14.1 my collegues have noticed that this isn't resolve situation,

we know that this caused by browsers security purposes,

but I think there is an easier way to implement this,

I'm not sure that this thread is correct place to discuss about it but why not to implement it via two methods:

1. get text selection : Window.getSelection() - Web API Interfaces | MDN, works from IE9 and other modern browsers;

if selection isn't null - display default context menu;

2. get element under mouse when RMB clicked,

if element is input field - display default context menu;

in other situations display SDM context menu.

Regards,

cdtj

08-06-2015 11:55 PM

Hello Jussi,

You're best off creating a New Idea and cross-linking, in order to get visiblity if you want that.

Once an Idea has been flagged as "Delivered" or "Not Planned" then voting is turned off, and it is off Development's watch list.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

Mod.

01-12-2015 02:43 AM

While you're at it, could you please add a alert or some other kind of popup informing the users on how to copy with other browsers?

12-29-2014 07:15 PM

We were able to include this in SDM 14.1 (GA November 2014) for Microsoft Internet Explorer, but not for Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

At this time, we are going to mark this Community Idea as "delivered".

Thank you for all the feedback and for your votes!

10-01-2014 01:33 PM

Personally, I think if you are going to introduce something "new", then it should work in all browsers.

I do like Jussi's suggestion on a pop-up notice on all browsers instructing users how to use the Copy/Paste feature with the CTRL button.

10-01-2014 01:53 AM

Maybe the best alternative solution would be to add "Copy" into the SDM context menu, which on click will show a small balloon popup instructing the user to Ctrl-click? Or maybe while they're going to go for the Ctrl anyway, why not just instruct them on the keyboard shortcuts? Easy to make it work in every browser, you can easily adjust the displayed shortcuts based on the useragent (or rather the best guess of their OS based on the useragent) and everything needed for this is already shipped with SDM.

09-30-2014 08:16 PM

This Idea has received a very large number of votes and comments, thank you!

While this seems to be a simple request, we have spent a good amount of time on it, and have learned that it is not so simple.

That said, we are looking at methods to accommodate this Idea.

We have rejected a method that makes use of Flash (which Jussi Valkonen commented on earlier) due to concerns about support and potential vulnerabilities.

The method we are looking at now is to utilize what is available in the Edit Resolution interface when editing a knowledge document in Knowledge Management.  The drawback to this method is that it only works with Microsoft Internet Explorer. 

When using Google Chrome, a dialog box appears telling the user to use Ctrl+X (cut), Ctrl+C (copy), and Ctrl-V (paste).

When using Mozilla Firefox, a dialog appears explaining how to modify the users' browser preference to override security.

We are seeking feedback from the Community. 

Knowing the limitations mentioned above, should we bring the method from Knowledge Management into Service Desk knowing that it only works for Microsoft Internet Explorer, and not Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox? 

Is that a "good enough" approach?   Are enough folks using Microsoft Internet Explorer to make this worthwhile?  Or are more folks making use of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox?

Obviously the preferred solution is to make it work regardless of browser, but our Engineering folks are indicating that will not be programmatically feasible.

We look forward to reading your constructive responses to this this inquiry.   Thank you!

P.S.  The "Power Tip" of holding down the Ctrl key and then right-clicking to get the browser context menu will continue to function, regardless of our decision.

09-26-2014 02:25 AM

You do realize that for security reasons the clipboard isn't available for browsers without some ActiveX/Flash hacking? For the web applications that actually benefit from this they do it the way I described but just for copying and pasting something you highlighted this isn't worth the time it takes to make it work on all supported platforms. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying it's easier to introduce the users into the world of keyboard shortcuts. It might even improve their productiveness in overall

01-27-2014 01:15 PM

This is documented under "Power User Tips".

01-27-2014 01:14 PM

Seems to be a good idea, however, today the standard browser right-click menu can be displayed by pressing and holding the ctrl key when you right click

09-18-2013 10:25 AM

This is basic windows functionality and is available is 99% of all web applications.  This is a major complaint amongst my user base.

08-28-2013 10:46 AM

I think this is more of a training issue.  The context menu on right click is disabled by using &lt;CTL&gt; &lt; Right-Click&gt; as rmjacob pointed out.  I hear this all the time but there are no complaints once they are showed how to use it properly.<br><br>So what is being requested?  The option in User Preferences to disable context menus?  A global Options Manager change?  This needs more detail.

04-20-2013 04:59 PM

We also have users asking for the ability to right click and copy.

03-17-2013 10:09 PM

Seems minor but many of my users have complained about this.

02-05-2013 07:28 AM

<span class="GRcorrect">can</span> we change the old way of copying the data... Like something multiple copy.<span class="GRcorrect">.</span>instead of one copy and paste...<br><br>This is very small things but helped a lot <span class="GRcorrect">in</span> work. Something like on right click we can add content multiple clipboard like.<span class="GRcorrect">.</span>copy1, copy2 copy3 copy4 copy5...and in a same way paste1, paste2, paste3.<span class="GRcorrect">.</span>and so on.

07-12-2012 02:02 PM

Absolutely required. Another one for copy/paste if standard workflows.

06-21-2012 08:35 PM

yes please

06-19-2012 03:03 PM

The inability to do this is a constant complaint amongst our customers. Sometimes it&#39;ss the simple things that make a huge impact.

05-19-2011 11:49 AM

beyond the &lt;CNTRL&gt;&lt;right-click&gt;?