Idea Details

Complete TSSSIM-Batch !

Last activity 05-29-2019 06:15 PM
Josef Thaler's profile image
01-22-2016 11:58 AM

I discovered TSSSIM as an excellent tool to achieve apposite, unharmful security admin.

If critical permissions have to be amended, audit can be activated for the questioned permissions. After a certain time the resulting audit-records can be transformed into TSSSIM-commands (by a self written rexx). These TSSSIM-commands can be executed in batch against the original userid and against a modified simulation-userid to check and verify the desired effect of the security-administration in advance.

Unfortunately there is a limit of 80 bytes for a single TSSSIM-Command in Batch, while TSSSIM-Commands containing for examle $DSN, VOLUME, ACCESS, PRIVPGM can become longer than 80 Bytes.

Therefore I suggest to enhance TSSSIM-Batch,

either that the recordsize and the commands in TSS$$IN can be longer than 80 bytes,

or to provide the possibility to continue the TSSSIM-commands in TSSSIM-Batch in the next line by a continuation-character '-' (similar to the TSS-Command)

SIM$$IN.jpg

added on 6.Nov 2017: 

1.) Currently I have currently to do with a resclass, who's MAXPERMIT is far beyond 80 bytes. Therefore I would prefer a longer recordsize in TSS$$IN (and not a continuation-character ...).

2.) This idea has been submitted almost 2 years ago, got 8 votes so far and has still a status of "NEW", which comes down to that CA Technologies did not noticable deal with this idea.

Therefore my solemn appeal to CA Technologies: Maybe it is only little effort to complete TSSSIM-Batch-functionality and to significantly increase usability of this feature.            

At least, I'd kindly ask for feedback after nearly two years ....

Comments

03-19-2018 05:46 PM

Josef, last year sometime I created a TSIM command that runs TSSSIM in the foreground—much more convenient and the REXX can evaluate certain arguments (such as "TSO") and recognize it as a facility and convert it to "FAC(TSO)" without the user having to type it in.  For example, I just ran one this morning that looks like this:

==> tso tsim azs005 opercmds(mvs.test) upd tso

3 records written to SIM$$IN
27 records read from SIM$$OUT

Then a View of the result:

TSSSIM
LOGON A(AZS005) FAC(TSO)
TSS8370I SIMULATED SESSION SUCCESSFULLY ESTABLISHED.
TSSSIM
$OPERCMDS(MVS.TEST) ACC(UPD) TRACE
TSS8385I RACHECK   R15 = 04   RC = 04   DRC = 00
TSS8386I <NO FEEDBACK MESSAGES>

...and so on.  The REXX arranges the commands into an FB 80 dataset, but it never occurred to me to wonder whether I may not  someday need more than that.  Now I'll have to include a check in the code for the length.  Thanks for pointing this out.

06-03-2016 06:23 PM

Jonathan -

I was going to say try running TSSSIM under TSO in batch, but it appears TSSSIM has hard coded DCBs of FB/80/0.  I get an IEC141I 013-20 when I tried a file with RECFM=VB or RECFM=FB,LRECL=133.  That SHOULD be pretty easy for CA to change (but then again, I've never looked at the code and it has probably been around for a long time).

Sorry!

- Don

05-18-2016 04:47 AM

TSSSIM should support more resouce classes than it has at the moment.

Thank you.

Erdem.

03-09-2016 06:41 AM

We had the same issue today, glad to see that an idea has already been created here.  We tried various continuation characters before concluding that a continuation is currently disallowed.  One can make the mask shorter by replacing literals with '*' characters but that may change the matching resource masks.  So continuation-character support would be welcome.