IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  Is any recommendations for IDMS V19 and migration from z12 to z13 machine

Posted Nov 26, 2020 04:24 AM
    Hi,
    we have IDMS V19R4 and now we are migrating Lpar from z12 to z13 machine. Is any recommendations for IDMS when migrating to z13 machine ?  Some parmlib members to check, andy sysgen changes ? 

Because I don't found anything.  Only information that IDMS V19 is compatible with z13. 

we are in testing face, where we have clone lpar on new z13 machine and compare results with original z12.
    I asked because our local mode batch has worst result on new z13 machine. Take more CPU and also run much more longer (most time spend in wait status). ( program used module IDA019L1 (it was in Ready state, so waiting for to be dispatched),  but most of times, it was on IDMS load module RHDCOMVS in WAIT state. 

Lpar is on z/OS 2.3 and have same setup.

Do anybody has experience with migration to z13 machine and any idea why now IDMS local mode stay 3x longer in wait status? 

I know that this is so general question, but now I don't have more detail. Thanks for any hint.

• 2.  RE: Is any recommendations for IDMS V19 and migration from z12 to z13 machine

Posted Jan 19, 2021 11:00 AM

As far as I recall, we did not do anything to get ready for the z13, but, we went to a z13 only for our test systems and went to a z14 on our production systems, still no changes that I recall.

I think you need to start by looking at what workloads are running faster, that will give you a clue to where to look.

I think all hardware upgrades come with more memory, is anybody taking advantage of that memory?  I also support Db2 and will take advantage of any additional memory in a heartbeat.  Db2 usually runs massive queries so anytime it can reduce I/Os means it gets more CPU, your local mode IDMS workloads run at user job priority.

Check the buffers on the storage devices (not database buffers) are they the same for the two LPARs you compare, because IDMS typically has more random I/O than other workloads a difference in those buffers would impact you IDMS workloads more, and again, you IDMS local mode jobs would likely be the most impacted.

------------------------------
    Tommy Petersen
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Is any recommendations for IDMS V19 and migration from z12 to z13 machine

Posted Jan 19, 2021 12:51 PM

Certainly run a smp/e FIXCAT against your IDMS holddata looking for z15-related fixes

(obviously getting current on holddata first)

Chris Hoelscher

Lead Sys DBA

IBM Global Technical Services on assignmemt to Humana Inc.

T 502.476.2538  or 502.407.7266

• 4.  RE: Is any recommendations for IDMS V19 and migration from z12 to z13 machine

Posted Jan 19, 2021 12:52 PM

Of even z13 fixes

Chris Hoelscher

Lead Sys DBA

IBM Global Technical Services on assignmemt to Humana Inc.

T 502.476.2538  or 502.407.7266