Top Secret

View Only
  • 1.  Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Posted Aug 02, 2019 10:23 AM
    Hello Community,

has anybody a hint or link to, or samples to use SORT to efficiently process TSSCFILE / TSSCFBK output ?

I particular I'd be interested to create a flat file with Acid, Name, Type, Dept, Divison and Zone, one line per Acid.

Thanks,
    Josef

• 2.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 14, 2019 01:13 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for @Josef Thaler?

@Eileen Becht? @Michael Blaha? @Joseph Porto?

​​​​

------------------------------
    Lenn Thompson
    Community Manager, Mainframe Division
    Broadcom Inc.
    lenn.thompson@broadcom.com

• 3.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Posted Nov 19, 2019 01:54 PM

Sorry for the delay, Josef.  I haven't stopped by the forum since it moved to Broadcom, and I had to reregister as a result.

I read the CFILE pretty often.  For the purpose I use REXX to extract the fields I want, then write them out one record per ACID and sort them.  I have a sort of REXX skeleton that I use whenever I want to read the CFILE, so I don't have to write the logic from scratch.  I also have a REXX routine for sorting the contents of the stack, so it doesn't have to be a separate step.

By now I expect it's too late and you've figured it out yourself, but let me know if you want details.

• 4.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 19, 2019 06:07 PM
    Hello Bob,

many thanks for your post and cooperative willingness.

Well, I too use rexx frequently, mostly for individual or specific purposes.  

I finally found for my need an approach with SORT as SORT - on the one hand - offers a really convincing performance and is - on the other hand - quite challenging when it comes to coding more sophisticated functionality like joining records (especially from a TSSCFILE :-) ). I thought my need (create a "flatfile of TSS-Acids")  is nothing special and could already have been dealt by someone else.

Such flatfiles are very helpful, when you want to sort or select the acids by criteria, which TSS LIST does not support. 

Kind regards,
    Josef

• 5.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Community Manager
    Posted Nov 20, 2019 09:15 AM
    Welcome back to the community, Bob. If you need anything or have any questions, just let me know.

Lenn Thompson
    Broadcom Inc.

• 6.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Posted Nov 20, 2019 10:44 AM
    One small item, Lenn (and thanks): There are times I want to use a fixed-spacing font to show commands, listings etc. But in the Broadcom editor I've been unable to spot where I can specify the typeface. Am I just missing something obvious, or is there no such thing in the new editor?

---
    Bob Bridges, robhbridges@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313

/* As a general rule, people marry most happily with their own kind. The trouble lies in the fact that people usually marry at an age where they do not really know what their own kind is. -Robertson Davies */

• 7.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Community Manager
    Posted Nov 20, 2019 01:00 PM

Bob. I THINK you might want to use the {;} button (next to the Bold/Italic/Underline/Strikethrough icons. 

Does that get you what you need?

Lenn Thompson
    Broadcom Inc.

• 8.  RE: Using SORT for TSSCFILE output

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 21, 2019 07:24 AM

Hi Bob and yes, WELCOME BACK!!  Both you and Josef have been instrumental in this Community and that is being modest ;-)

I do want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed and agree with your quote from Robertson Davies.  However, with the trend of marrying a bit older you would think there would be less of a "problem" but obviously not so.  Have a great day!! ~Eileen~

Senior Support Engineer
    Broadcom