CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Posted Jul 06, 2020 03:22 PM
    We're having issues retrieving spool files for SOME jobs. It works fine for some jobs, others it doesn't. The Spool Files that it gets the error on are on the server, I can login to the server and see them, the Web Client can't. It throws the below error, which appears to be indicating that it's trying to read it from a CA7 VSAM file and not from the server. We've been working with the Web Client for awhile now and never saw this until recently. Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    IT Engineer
    Cigna/Express-Scripts
    OH

• 2.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2020 03:59 PM
    The CA 7 agent vsam file contains an index of the agent jobs that ran. This file is used by CA 7 / IAS to retrieve the spool for a specific run of the job. This file must be cleaned up on a regular basis to prevent the file from filling up.It is possible they ran a job to issue the /DELAGNT command to delete old entries from file. This process does not affect the spool directory on the agent side. The spool directory on the agent need to be cleaned up also.

• 3.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Posted Jul 06, 2020 04:16 PM
    Hey Rodney,

Tired of me yet? LOL

Yeah, we use the spool cleanup parms when we install an Agent. Every day it deletes any spool files older than 10 days. After I posed this, I noticed a message in the CA7 STC JESLOG that might explain things...I have an email into Tony P to check on it. Looks to me like the VSAM Index is out of space, and the entire cluster could use a reorg.

IT Engineer
    Cigna/Express-Scripts
    OH

• 4.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2020 04:37 PM
    Of course I am not tired of you. But I am tired of looking at Jack Lambert and that dreaded Steelers helmet!!!!! I am pretty sure our fellow communities member feel the same way. So I encourage you to put a Dallas Cowboys picture in its place....

Definitely have Tony address the VSAM file issue.

• 5.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Posted Jul 07, 2020 09:44 AM
    NOOOOO! Say it ain't so Rodney, a Cowboys fan?!? And I really liked you too LOL

But I can't argue much about the NFL anymore, I stopped watching 4 years ago. It just seems like a "cookie cutter" game now, and I tuned in to watch players, not zebra's throwing yellow rags all over the place.

But yeah, I found something I think might explain it. I've passed this on the Tony & the Storage Mgmt folks. Sorry for the false alarm. At least I didn't open a Case. It looks to me like this VSAM Cluster was created in 2015 and hasn't had any maintenance done on it since.

IEC070I 104-204,CA7TPONL,CA7TPONL,CA7AGNT,A06F,SPRDC9,  289

MSG IEC070I 104-204 data set would exceed 4 gig if extended

IT Engineer
    Cigna/Express-Scripts
    OH

• 6.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Posted Jul 07, 2020 09:46 AM
    And BTW, just so's you know...Jack Lambert was the baddest dude to EVER play the game!

IT Engineer
    Cigna/Express-Scripts
    OH

• 7.  RE: CA7 Web Client Spool Retrieval

Community Manager
    Posted Jul 07, 2020 09:48 AM
    As a Pittsburgh native and life-long Steelers fan, I approve of this message.

Lenn Thompson
    Community Manager, Mainframe Division
    Broadcom Inc.
    lenn.thompson@broadcom.com