Workload Automation Agents

View Only
  • 1.  upgrading a v11.3 agent to a v11.4 sp1 or v11.5

Posted Jan 23, 2020 04:41 PM
    Hello Community,   I have some questions regarding some apparent nuances in upgrading from a v11.3 windows or sun cybAgent to a v11.4 SP1 or v11.5 agent.  (ESP, non-Autosys type agents)

For a new installation, to install silently you'd use the usual command:
    ./setup.bin -f path/unix_installer.properties

Starting with CA Workload agents v11.4 SP1 and v11.5, a new file comes shipped, "upgrade.properties"

From what I'm seeing however in the documentation, it shows that to UPGRADE silently you'd use the command:
    ./setup.bin -i silent -DACCEPT_EULA=ACCEPT -DAGENT_UPGRADE_PATH=<path to existing agent directory>
    Apparently the upgrade process looks at your current agent path and acts accordingly.

Upgrading in this manner,  i.e. in place with simply issuing a command is totally foreign to me.  I usually remove an old agent and install a newer one, or turn off the older one and install from a totally different folder.   So this sounds promising.

Any gotchas with upgrading in place like this?   
    How would you back it out if need be? (it apparently makes a backup for you, but is it a tar file?  What does one do with that?)

Also,  where/how does this new "upgrade.properties" file actually  come into play since you don't explicitly specify it anywhere
    in the upgrade command.  The sample upgrade.properties only illustrates a couple new parms, but something like
    AGENT_UPGRADE_FORCE    or UPGRADE_BACKUP_LOCATION   might come in handy from time to time.
    So, how does one incorporate the "upgrade.properties"  file into the process?

Lastly, For v11.5 installs or upgrades, ...has anyone installed a v11.5 yet?  If so, how did you handle the new JRE issue ?
    I understand the v11.5 agents no longer are shipped with the Oracle JRE.  I understand that Broadcom bundles a different
    JRE, "AdoptOpenJRE" that you can point to in the installer.properties somehow.  But where it is legal to use is unclear to me.

Can you use the new "AdoptOpenJRE" only for windows & linux agents or can you also specify AdoptOpenJRE for solaris as well?

thanks!

• 2.  RE: upgrading a v11.3 agent to a v11.4 sp1 or v11.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2020 09:34 AM
    MIchael,
    Some good questions, I will answer what I can.

When you execute the upgrade (or an install also), you can pass all your property=value settings as -D parameters on the command line.  You could see where that gets very long and messy after a while.

So instead you can pass a .properties file containing all your property=value settings.

That means that to run a silent upgrade using an upgrade.properties file you would execute:
        ./setup.bin -i silent -f <path to upgrade properties file>
    Of course you need to have modified the properties file appropriately for your agent.

As far as installing a fresh new agent side-by-side with an old one, switching the workload over to the new one, and eventually removing the old one.
    That is still a valid approach and there is nothing wrong with that and I assume you understand it well.

Using upgrade has the effect of modifying an already installed agent (replace binaries/jars, replace or point to a new JRE, update agentparms.txt (as needed), fix any other generated files (as needed), etc.   But before doing that, the install/upgrade will make a backup tar file of all the affected files prior to doing the upgrade.
    However, there is no automated customer use of the backup tar file as yet.   If you needed to revert to the backup, it would be a manual process and I am not entirely sure of the steps myself.   (The install does use the backup file internally if an error occurs during the upgrade.)

The question about "How did you handle the new JRE issue?", I cannot answer.  But I can explain it some.
    Oracle has changed the legal ability of a product to ship Oracle's versions of the JRE.   Basically they want their money.   As such, Broadcom/CA had to modify stuff.

We no longer ship any Oracle JREs.   We typically either ship the AdoptOpenJRE, an OS vendor supplied JRE, or no JRE depending on the platform.
    We also modified the installers so that a customer can specify an external (customer installed) JRE on all platforms.

The external JRE support allows a customer to continue to run with Oracle JREs if they prefer (assuming they follow the new licensing) and/or it allows a customer to have a common JRE on a machine and not have a variety of products installed, each potentially installing their own JREs.    There are space, licensing, security, virus scanning, etc implications to some customers in this area.   So now we provide the customer provided JRE as an option.

All the JREs we ship should be legal for a customer to use.   

Can you use AdoptOpenJRE on solaris?   If they provide one, then yes you can install it and instruct the agent to use it.    However, since we can still legally ship the vendor supplied JRE on that platform, that is what we are doing.

I hope this helps some.

• 3.  RE: upgrading a v11.3 agent to a v11.4 sp1 or v11.5

Posted Jan 24, 2020 10:37 AM

Hi Tracy, 

doc shows

./setup.bin -i silent -DACCEPT_EULA=ACCEPT -DAGENT_UPGRADE_PATH=<path to existing

agent directory>     

note it says directory and not either an installer.properties file or an upgrade.properties file....but you are saying in lieu of supplying the "path to existing directory

one can alternately substitute path to the file itself:

example: ./setup.bin -i silent -f <path to upgrade properties file>

I see a blurb in the install doc:

"A silent upgrade of a 32-bit 11.3.x agent to a 64-bit 11.4 agent fails when

AGENT_UPGRADE_FORCE is not set to true in the silent installer properties file. There is no

informational message given in the logs to indicate that the 32-bit to 64-bit agent requires

this flag."

That implies to me that if upgrading a 32-bit to 64-bit that using the upgrade.properties file

would be mandatory! since that _FORCE property is defaulted to false.  If I'm correct on that, I bet

a lot of folks might easily overlook this requirement and stumble.

regarding:

"..there is no automated customer use of the backup tar file as yet.   If you needed to revert to the backup,

it would be a manual process and I am not entirely sure of the steps myself..."

Ok thanks, I'll open a case and ask for some guidlines of all the steps one would have to take to

backout an upgrade using the .tar file, that's kinda important I think to at least have that

documented in case a backout is required for whatever reason.

I'll also ask in the case if the "AdoptOpenJRE" is available/bundled for agents that will be

installed on solaris or if one must! point to an already existing JRE in the installer.properties.

(the way it reads to me perhaps only windows & linux might have the AdoptOpenJRE as an option???

If it is not also available for solaris, that is something I'd want to be prepared for ahead of time

to find out where an existing JRE resides on the box and if the release of same is acceptable, so no

surprises at install/upgrade time.

thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.  Our shop has 'windows' of when we can install or upgrade

and any stumbling caused by any of the new procedures that requires stopping the upgrade, opening

a case with Broadcom, waiting for an answer, etc etc, blows the doors off of our change-window and

then it becomes visible...so just want to get as much 'clarity' as possible before actually having

to drive an upgrade.

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Exelon Corporation or its affiliates ("Exelon"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. Exelon policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. Exelon will not accept any liability in respect of such communications. -EXCIP

• 4.  RE: upgrading a v11.3 agent to a v11.4 sp1 or v11.5

Posted Jan 25, 2020 08:00 AM
    Hello again Tracy & Community,  I wanted to share a few things that Segun from CA tech support sent to me regarding a someof my questions.  Hopefully this will also be helpful to some of you as well as it was for me.
    (thanks again !)

Question: How would you back it out if need be? (it apparently makes a backup for you, but is it true that it puts the old install into a tar file?

What does one do with that in order to back out an upgrade?)

ANSWER: See the Roll-back upgrade instructions in the docs;

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/workload-automation-system-agent/11-5/installing-and-upgrading/roll-back-an-upgrade.html

Question: For v11.5 installs or upgrades, I understand the v11.5 agents no longer are shipped with the Oracle JRE.  I understand that Broadcom bundles a different JRE, "AdoptOpenJRE" that you can point to in the installer.properties somehow.

But which platforms is it okay to be able to opt for this JRE is unclear to me.

ANSWER: See the link below and check under "JRE Version Shipped with Agent" column for the OS platforms;

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/workload-automation-system-agent/11-5/release-notes/system-requirements-and-supported-platforms/minimum-recommended-hardware-and-software-requirements-by-agent-version.html

You need to install the JRE if not shipped with the Agent (see the instructions below);

Install or Upgrade CA Workload Automation System Agent

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/workload-automation-system-agent/11-5/installing-and-upgrading/install-or-upgrade-ca-workload-automation-system-agent.html#concept.dita_cf4fe7ede45b6eaf83a660fcd6bc8cee343b012c_UserAccountConsiderationsForUNIXInstallations

Question : Can you use the new "AdoptOpenJRE" only for windows & linux agents or can you also specify AdoptOpenJRE for solaris as well?

ANSWER: The agent installs the AdoptOpenJRE for Linux and Windows x86 64-bit.You need to install the JRE for Solaris/SPARC. See below for details; 

JRE Requirements The agent requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to function. The agent comes with bundled JRE for Linux/Windows (1.8 AdoptOpenJRE OpenJ9 VM) and AIX/HP (vendor supplied JRE 1.8) platforms. The Agent prompts to use the bundled one or a path to a JRE. For those platforms where the agent does not bundle a JRE, you must have JRE 1.8 or later already installed. JRE 1.8 is the minimum that is required for the agent.

The agent does not install a JRE for the following platforms. On these platforms, the agent installation prompts you for a path to a JRE. Series  HPE Integrity NonStop Linux – z/Linux, Linux PPC, and Linux PPCLE Solaris x86 Solaris SPARC

For more information Java requirements, see Minimum Recommended Hardware and Software Requirements by Agent Version.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/intelligent-automation/workload-automation-system-agent/11-5/release-notes/system-requirements-and-supported-platforms/minimum-recommended-hardware-and-software-requirements-by-agent-version.html