ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 05, 2019 04:20 PM
    I'm looking for ideas on having a a delay of seconds between NT_JOB jobs.  I use RELDELAY 1 for a one minute delay before a successor job can begin, but I'm looking for a shorter delay.  I have thought of a separate job using LINUX_JOB just to do sleep  - CMDNAME sleep
    ARGS 10s, but want to be sure there is not a built-in ESP feature for a short delay.

Thank you for your thoughts and time.

------------------------------
    Loren Watts
    Cigna

• 2.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 06, 2019 10:32 AM

Found this on the Forum some time back, how to delay 20 seconds via Self-Completing task predecessor;  Haven't tried it myself but perhaps this may help you Loren?

Delay a CA WA ESP job by nn seconds
    instead of nn minutes using the RELDELAY statement
    Summary:
    In some cases there needs to be a delay between the predecessor
    and successor job.
    The RELDELAY command only allows whole MINUTE values.
    By using a SELF COMPLETING TASK it IS possible to delay by SECONDS.

Background:

The RELDELAY x command only allows whole MINUTE values.

Instructions:

The self completing task in the example below
    sets the start time for the following job.

JOB DELAYJOB TASK SELFCOMPLETING
    RUN DAILY
    ESPNOMSG AJ DELAYED.JOB RESET DELAYSUB('REALNOW +
    PLUS 20 SECONDS') APPL(%ESPAPPL..%ESPAPGEN)
    RELEASE ADD(DELAYED.JOB)
    ENDJOB

JOB DELAYED.JOB
    RUN DAILY
    ENDJOB

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Exelon Corporation or its affiliates ("Exelon"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. Exelon policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. Exelon will not accept any liability in respect of such communications. -EXCIP

• 3.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 07, 2019 10:35 AM

Sorry about the triple send. It wasn't real obvious that Broadcom received my original 'send'

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Exelon Corporation or its affiliates ("Exelon"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. Exelon policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. Exelon will not accept any liability in respect of such communications. -EXCIP

• 4.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 06, 2019 10:33 AM
    Found this on the Forum some time back, how to delay for 20 seconds;  Haven't tried it myself but maybe this will work for you Loren?

Summary:
    and successor job.

Background:

Instructions:

RUN DAILY
    RELEASE ADD(DELAYED.JOB)
    ENDJOB

JOB DELAYED.JOB
    RUN DAILY
    ENDJOB

• 5.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 06, 2019 10:33 AM
    Found this on the Forum some time back, how to delay 20 seconds via Self-Completing task predecessor;  Haven't tried it myself but perhaps this may help you Loren?

Summary:
    and successor job.

Background:

Instructions:

RUN DAILY
    RELEASE ADD(DELAYED.JOB)
    ENDJOB

JOB DELAYED.JOB
    RUN DAILY
    ENDJOB

• 6.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 09, 2019 11:29 AM

Thank you for the idea Michael. That is a possibility.

The shortcoming for me of  REALNOW is that REALNOW reflects the actual time of event trigger. Much of my organization's setup has the event being triggered to bring in an appl generation, but by design our appls do not begin until hours later. This allows us to review and adjust during our business day all the batch processing which won't begin until the evening.

I have wanted for years for CA to provide a time delay relative to a job's predecessor job - not a time reference bound to when the event was triggered. 
      JobA runs - wait twenty seconds - JobB runs - wait twenty seconds - JobC runs.
    For this simple design, the length of time is in relation to the predecessor job

Don't worry about the triple post. It feels like Broadcom has bugs to work out in their transition. I have a a great deal of trouble using Communities since the CA transition.

Loren Watts - Cigna

• 7.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 11, 2019 03:45 PM
    Hi Loren,

Firstly the REALNOW is the current local time when it's used. With example provided by Mike, it's the current local time when TASK DELAYJOB runs and AJ RESET command is issued. So it should work for jobs that run hours later after the event is triggered. 

Secondly would you mind to give more detail on the reason of the delay? Maybe we can figure out a way without the delay.

Lastly if this feature is important, would you post an idea to raise a enhancement request again? 

Thank you,

Lucy

• 8.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1

Posted Jul 12, 2019 11:02 AM
    Thank you for your help Lucy. For my current need, I was able to use a RENEWABLE Resource at the APPL level. I have about 200 jobs in one APPL which were running concurrently. My customer needed them staggered; they had asked for a timing solution, but a resource meets their need.

I would appreciate your coaching regarding REALNOW. If it is okay with you, I will do that in a separate conversation, to keep it focused. I will first do a review on my own, so I make the best use of your time and brainpower.

Cigna

• 9.  RE: NT_JOB job delay smaller than the 1 minute possible with RELDAY 1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 12, 2019 05:11 PM
    Hi Loren,

Would think that resource is a great way to address it.

Here is a test I did:
    - My Proc:
    APPL CAL
    JCLLIB ZHALI13.PSS.JCLLIB
    SYMBOL %
    JOB CYBLZ.1 TASK SELFCOMPLETING
    RELDELAY 1
    RUN TODAY
    ESPNOMSG AJ CYBLZ.2 RESET DELAYSUB('REALNOW +
    REL CYBLZ.2
    ENDJOB

JOB CYBLZ.2
    CCCHK RC(8) FAIL STOP
    RUN TODAY
    ENDJOB

In ESP auditlog:
    - Application was created:
    16.02.47 FRI 12JUL19 ESP6030I APPLGEN: Appl CAL.9 created, slot 0000051B
    - CYBLZ.1 was readied one minute later, because of RELDELAY 1, and at the same time it reset the Delaysub time for CYBLZ.2:
    16.03.47 FRI 12JUL19 ESP6633I APPLMGR: APPL CAL.9 JOB CYBLZ.1 READIED
    16.03.47 FRI 12JUL19 ESP6619I APPLMGR: APPL CAL.9 JOB CYBLZ.2 TIMES RESET BY USERZ
    - CYBLZ.2 was readied 21 seconds after the time was reset, NOT 20 seconds after the application was created:
    16.04.08 FRI 12JUL19 ESP6633I APPLMGR: APPL CAL.9 JOB CYBLZ.2 READIED

It proved that the REALNOW in the AJ RESET command was the current time when the command was issued, NOT when appl was created (same time when event fired).

Hope this helps,

Lucy