IDMS

View Only

Suggestions for enhancement in batch processors

• 1.  Suggestions for enhancement in batch processors

Posted Oct 19, 2020 10:44 AM
    Adding to my IDMS wish list: I sure wish there was a listing of warnings and errors at the end of each batch compiler (RHDCSGEN, IDMSDDDL, IDMSBCF, IDMSCHEM, IDMSUBSC). It would save scanning through many pages of output looking for those messages. 

My second wish would be a syntax checker for those same compilers. I realize it couldn't catch every situation, but simple things like missing ' . ' or ' ; ' or invalid keywords could be identified.

My third wish would be a notification at the end of a DCMT command indicating that the results of the command were achieved. When doing something like DCMT VARY SEGMENT xxx OFFLINE, we have to view the output (or write syntax scanner routines) to make sure that all the areas are in the requested status without having to look for 'PND' status codes or non-0 locks or whatever else may pop up. It's not so hard when working with small databases, but for a large number of areas, it it just another inconvenience.

And finally, I wish the Perfmon displays would show the job name along with the program name for batch run units. If a program is causing an issue, it can be time consuming to look through all the active batch jobs on the system to see which one is executing the program. After the program ends, that information is available in the log, but many times we are looking at this information because of an issue, and the quicker the resolution, the better.

If any of these are already available and I just didn't know it, please feel free to pile on!

------------------------------
    DBA
    DXC Technology
    ------------------------------