Broadcom Mainframe Software Community

View Only
  • 1.  Endevor Eclipse Plugin Project Location

Posted Feb 17, 2020 07:54 PM
    Hi....
    ​After some advice on the Endevor Eclipse Plugin (18.0.2).

Our guys here are saying they want the Endevor Project created by the plugin shared across the team via a LAN drive (available to wider team and backed up etc).

But the plugin defaults to creating the project directly under the workspace and no other option is given on where it should be located in the file system.

So is it possible that once the project is created can it be moved to a shared location?  or are we on the wrong track?  What are thoughts of others around Eclipse Endevor projects?

thanks,
    Darren

• 2.  RE: Endevor Eclipse Plugin Project Location
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 18, 2020 09:06 AM
    Hi Darren,

There are files in the workspace that the project uses - I would recommend creating a shared workspace on the shared drive - let me know if that works for you.

Vaughn

• 3.  RE: Endevor Eclipse Plugin Project Location

Posted Feb 19, 2020 03:17 PM
    Hi Vaughn,
    Thanks for you reply.

My understanding of Eclipse Workspaces is that they are ​not designed to be shared. Granted you can share the settings but after that point it is pretty much 2 different workspaces.

Sharing happens at the project level and our guys here want to be able to share that (in real time) without needing to use something like git.  There is still a bit of an acceptance gap here on what traditionally happens on the mainframe, versus off-host development.

They are concerned about the proverbial being "hit by a bus" and losing all work as it was stored locally.  A possible solution could be a personal workspace on a shared drive.
    regards,
    Darren

• 4.  RE: Endevor Eclipse Plugin Project Location

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2020 03:33 PM

Unfortunately - the Endevor Eclipse plugin doesn't support sharing a project between workspaces.  I tried it myself by creating a second workspace and importing the potentially shared project from the other workspace and it was not successful.  

Sharing the workspace could potentially work better, but it will be locked (one user opening it at a time).  

That all said, is there a need to share the project in Eclipse?  Wouldn't it work to have each user will a local/shared drive workspace & project, with the shared location visible between users being on the mainframe entry stage the Eclipse plugin is connected to?  In other words, the sharing happens at the mainframe side of things.  

Let me know your thoughts and if that doesn't work - let's have a chat to understand your requirements better.

Vaughn

• 5.  RE: Endevor Eclipse Plugin Project Location

Posted Feb 19, 2020 03:48 PM
    I'm with you on that one. Use the Endevor entry stage as you would use git and save (push) your work to it when done.​
    It is something they are not doing now and they'll have to get into the habit of working in much the same way as other folks do.