Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Application Rehosting

Posted Jul 12, 2019 03:31 PM
    ​Looking at the possibility of moving our mainframe based Gen applications off to a Microsoft .NET based platform, still using Gen.  Not too worried about the Gen code base.  The online part of the applications don't seem like they will be much of an issue because they can be regenerated as C# servers and re-deployed.  The batch environment is a different story and these applications are batch heavy.  I know that the programs themselves can be regenerated to C# but we're struggling to find a way to replicate the items which are inherent on the mainframe in the Windows world.  The biggest hurdle I'm finding is the file management.  We have Windows based scheduling software.  I think we can port the JCL into Windows scripts somehow. We have a lot of home grown SAS utility programs and SAS exists in the Windows world.  We use Report Composer for reporting and sequential file reading and writing and we can also regenerate that code for Windows.  What I'm not finding is a good replacement for the Generation Data Group concept that makes file management so easy on the Mainframe.

If anyone has successfully completed a platform rehosting project and would like to share any tools you've used and lessons learned, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Application Rehosting

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2019 06:16 PM
    Hi @STACY PICKETT,
    There is an old thread here that covers it and @Aldred Gonzalez may be able to provide more info:
    looking to convert Ca Gen cobol model to a CA Gen ASP.NET model.

Thanks

Lynn

​​

------------------------------
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    Australia
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Application Rehosting
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 14, 2019 09:17 PM
    The Australian Dept of Employment uses NeoBatch from GT So​ftware - from memory it has GDG support of some sort.
    https://www.gtsoftware.com/products/neo-suite/neobatch/
    For scheduling they utilise CA AutoSys.  (basically CA7 for windows/*nix)
    These products were good for the transition process from MF to C# (2014) ... there are still some batches running win NB now, with a lot transitioned to either SQL stored procedures or native C# code.
    Hope this info helps in some way.

• 4.  RE: Application Rehosting

Posted Jul 17, 2019 03:04 PM
    Thanks @Al​dred Gonzalez for the information.  We have started looking at NEO Batch.  I really didn't see anything else that compared to that software on the market.

• 5.  RE: Application Rehosting

Posted Jul 17, 2019 02:50 PM
    Edited by STACY PICKETT Jul 17, 2019 02:50 PM
    Thanks for the link to the 2014 discussion thread.​