Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Posted May 28, 2020 11:45 AM
    ​My site never created processor listings libraries. So over time (years) any processors generated (ADD/UPDATE/GENERATE/MOVE) listings have  not captured since the beginning. However one can go to a processor group panel and use the L option and see the listing of the processor as it was last generated. One of the other variables is that we use ++INCLUDES to bring in common JCL code into a processor(s). So regenerating a processor is not desirable since we want to see the processor that is being used since it was last generated. Finally we are reviewing a large number of processors.
    So what we would like to have is a 'batch' process that acts like the processor group panel L option. So the batch job would go through all the members of the processor load and de-assemble the loads to create the listing. Which I was told that is what the L option is doing. So all the listings are created. Which would then be put into a processor listing library to create the base. Case#31932500 was opened and closed.

------------------------------
    Endevor Admin
    SSA

• 2.  RE: a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2020 11:59 PM
    Hi Ronald, 

Can I first ask how many processors we are talking about.  If it's only a few, then using cut-n-paste to capture the listings from the Processor Group Panel (option "L") sounds like the quickest/easiest solution.

But two other options sprint to mind:
    a) Build a batch job that performs generates/moves/deletes for each processor/processor group combination and save the listings - this would capture not only the processor listing but also a trail of symbol substitutions which I'd argue is almost as important.  or...

b) Set up a new (or temporary) admin system and transfer bypass delete all your processors and generate them with listings at the new location.  Yes, they would pick up the newest versions of any copybooks but I'd argue that KNOWING what you have is probably more valuable than trying to chase down prior levels of the copybooks.

If retaining the absolute version of the include members is important, you could use the last generate date of the processor with the component information to identify the relevant version of the include members and transfer that specific version of the include member, and then do the generate of the processor.  If you worked through your processors in generate date order (earliest to newest) you'd end up with a duplicate of your production environment and all the listings would be accurate - You could even swap over to this new system and archive the old one safely.

One last thought - if you make the new listing library a PDS/E version2, and enable generations, you could use these generations as a way to review compare listings with old/new include members.  Or of course you could just check them into Endevor.

Sr Principal Software Engineer

• 3.  RE: a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2020 06:09 PM
    You can get at least some of what you want, by doing a RETRIEVE of the processors with EXPAND INCLUDES set to Y,

• 4.  RE: a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Posted Jun 03, 2020 02:29 AM

Hi Ron.

I don't have a Batch option that comes to mind, but there is another way (if you don't have too many).
    While you are in the Processor Group Display and you perform the 'L' Command, you are effectively in a Browse Session, but you can't see the internal Dataset Name.

Use Command 'TSO ISRDDN' - This will list all current allocations in your TSO Session.
    Go down to the bottom of this list and you will see something like:

Command ===>,                                                ,Scroll ===>,CSR

Volume   Disposition,Act,DDname   Data Set Name  ,Actions: B E V M F C I Q,
     P1CW01   NEW,DEL   ,>, , SYS00156,SYS20155.T011415.RA000.OP10290.PRGRP.H02

In the 'Act' Column, you can use the 'E' Edit Action and PRESTO! you can now Store the full listing in a Dataset of your choice (using normal Editor Commands).

Hope you are well and I hope that gives you another option.

• 5.  RE: a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Posted Jun 04, 2020 08:11 AM

Hello Ron I hope you are well.

I have a REXX that finds names like SYS00156,SYS20155.T011415.RA000.OP10290.PRGRP.H02 in your allocations and dumps it to SYSOUT.

It can also used to create it to an output library.

The suggestion for TSO ISRDDN is great but this is also an easy way of getting your output into a PDS(E) library.

Russ Gunter

CA Broadcom Consultant

Internal Revenue Service

Cell: (770) 595-8600

(TOD) Mon –  Fri  7:45 AM - 4:15 PM Eastern

"Never forget, 'Some gave all, All gave some'"

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit", Harry S. Truman

Planned days away, 6/17 &18

• 6.  RE: a batch option to extract processor listings from the processor load

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2020 09:19 AM
    One more suggestion:
    Change your Endevor Defaults so that your Browse/View option is set to View.  Then when you list the processor through the processor group, you can CUT the listed output, and PASTE it into a dataset or dataset(member) of your choice.