OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 08:45 AM

I Noticed, when looking for the OPSMVS 12.3 doc, that the only way I could download (for local access) the doc, was in one large PDF or EPUB file. Though that may seem handy, it takes forever to do a search in those now. And the index now is so big... I preferred the separate install/cmdref/userguide/message books...

• 2.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 09:10 AM

Hello Marcel,

Instead of downloading the documentation in PDF format consider using the online version and the search facility.

We update the documentation very frequently so it is better if you use the most current version that is available online.

Regards, Cesar 

• 3.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 09:54 AM

I understand that looking online will get the most recent doc, but as I said: online access is not always available. Plus, using the search facility in the online doc differs vastly from the PDF search:

Eg: looking for SETATTR in the PDF, eventually returns 23 hits, while the online doc returns just 2. And when clicking on those, it only brings me to the top of the section where it was found, so I need to locate the exact spot myself. I am quite familiar with the product, and know when to look in the Command reference, or the Message manual or any of the (previous) others. Now its just one big one stacked on top of each other. Not nice .

marcel

• 4.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 10:43 AM

I know this format for DOC is a CA direction and not just OPS/MVS, so maybe this needs to be in a different community??

How do we know when revisions are made and to what sections they are made to?  Will there be a 'revisions' section? Can we subscribe to the doc and be told when (and what) has changed in a manual? I think it is good to keep the doc updated in real time, but we should probably know when things change (it may impact the way we are doing something, especially if it is not just a typo fix?)  

I understand things change, but I agree with Marcel about the pros for having the separate manuals (hard to break old habits that have worked for years) - Would be nice if the books can still be downloaded in separate PDFs, instead of just one big one.  I personally will miss having the ability to have separate manuals, not a big fan of reading manuals online – too easy to get lost/sidetracked. Unless I am missing how to use it,  with the ONLINE doc, you can’t go from page to page.  Everything is a hyperlink so it would be easy to skip sections if you don’t have a page forward, page back??   When you do go back, you have to remember the hyperlink where you left off, and some pages have a lot of links.  Again – very easy to not follow the flow of instruction steps – steps will be missed.  Easy if just looking up messages or keywords.

Just my opinion

Sal

• 5.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 05, 2016 10:49 AM

Hello Marcel and Sal,

Thanks for your candid feedback.

I have received an internal communication that our Information Engineers for CA OPS/MVS will be updating this Communities discussion. Standby until we hear from them today.

Regards, Cesar

• 6.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 05, 2016 01:45 PM

Hello Marcel,

I just posted about how to download individual PDFs for the CA OPS/MVS r12.3 documentation.

Individual CA OPS/MVS® r12.3 PDFs Available for Download

Best,

Paul

• 7.  Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Jul 06, 2016 02:21 AM

Thanks a million Paul, much appreciated.

• 8.  RE: Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Sep 02, 2020 08:56 AM
    Sooo. Now with CA-OPS/MVS 14.0 I noticed we're back at square one. In fact it has been like that for a while (13.5 currently also is one big doc, but since I do have them seperatly it must have changed somewhere along the line...)

------------------------------
    Automated Operations Technical Expert
    Atos
    Netherlands

• 9.  RE: Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 02, 2020 02:08 PM
    Hi Marcel,
    The old DocOps platform used by CA Technologies did allow you to download of a separate PDF for each doc section. After CA was acquired by Broadcom, documentation was migrated from DocOps to the TechDocs platform. While the TechDocs platform does support a separate PDF download for each section, it is not currently implemented for the CA OPS/MVS doc set. (It is implemented for the doc sets of some other CA products.) This feature is on our backlog, but not currently scheduled. Your feedback on this matter is appreciated and will be considered during scheduling.
    Thanks,
    John

Broadcom, Inc

• 10.  RE: Re: No separate pdf books anymore?

Posted Sep 03, 2020 08:06 AM
    Thank you John. 

Marcel

Automated Operations Technical Expert
    Atos
    Netherlands