Db2 Tools

View Only
  • 1.  Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Posted Sep 11, 2018 02:33 PM

We use Log Analyzer as an audit function on a group of tables.  A detail report is produced showing the DML and the values that were added, deleted or changed.  A problem we have is that on some of the tables, there is a column that is used as a counter that is changed constantly.  The user is not interested in seeing this change and would like it filtered out.  There currently isn't a filter, or filtering process, within Log Analyzer that can do this.  Is this something the community might be interested in for CA to develop - a process/report where you can omit data being returned when a specific column(s) are changed?  

• 2.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2018 08:37 AM

HI Dave, in answer to your Question;

" Is this something the community might be interested in for CA to develop - a process/report where you can omit data being returned when a specific column(s) are changed?  "

Answer: Log Analyzer is not designed to filter out a specific column. I believe you had this same question in your case

965627. In answer to your question, yes this would be an Enhancement Request that our CA community would have to vote on that helps determine its value to our customers.

• 3.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2018 08:49 AM

Hello David,

Thanks for taking the time to make this suggestion!

Assuming I understand what you're trying to achieve, I believe that the  functionality you describe already exists within Log Analyzer.

With the Extended Query Facility, you can filter out specific columns from your report output. The basic details for this procedure are contained in the following steps:

1. Enter in the Table Filters field under Log Data Filter Options on the DML Activity Report Options panel.
    2. Add any number of objects to the selection list.
    3. Enter in the Where field next to an object that is listed in the "Enter the desired table names...." section.
      The Data Query Edit panel appears.
    4. In the Data Query Edit panel, remove the S next to each column to exclude from the report.
    5. Correcting any errors you encounter, return to the DML Activity Report Options panel.
      You have defined a filter to exclude specific columns from the report output.

You can read more about this procedure in the following locations:

Log Data Filter Options - CA Log Analyzer™ for DB2 for z/OS - 20 Incremental - CA Technologies Documentation 

Create and Execute a Data Query - CA Database Management Solutions for DB2 for z/OS - 20 Incremental - CA Technologies D… 

If I misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish or if you have additional questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Roderick Mitchell, Jr

• 4.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2018 03:24 PM

Hi Dave,

At first I thought mitro06 had the correct answer...  but then I thought about it again.

Are you asking for PLA to NOT report on a data row change if the data changed was for a specific column?

• 5.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Posted Sep 13, 2018 10:26 AM

Badan02 you are correct, we are looking to not have the update reported at all.  We are running a P –update, with detail.  This returns a report only of the columns that have changed.  When I unselect the column in the extended query, it still produces output showing the primary key column for each update that occurred during the time frame of the Log Analyzer run.  In our case we would not like to have this update show up at all.  We would like an enhancement where we could filter out those changes.

• 6.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Posted Sep 13, 2018 10:44 AM

Let me just throw something out crazy

What if you created a view on the table (all columns except the ones you don’t want)

Could log analyzer then run against the view (rather than the table name)

Chris Hoelscher

Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

Humana Inc.

123 East Main Street

Louisville, KY 40202

Humana.com

(502) 476-2538 or 407-7266

• 7.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2018 10:59 AM

Hey ChrisHoelscher,

PLA already offers Column filtering to exclude a column from the transaction report.  That gets you the behavior your View suggestion would deliver.  What david.dvorak is looking for is to exclude the transaction itself when COLA is the only updated column in the transaction.

Andrew

• 8.  Re: Can Log Analyzer be enhanced to filter reports not to react to certain column(s) being changed?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2018 11:10 AM

Hi david.dvorak,

This would need to be an enhancement to the product.  Please open a Community Idea for this.

rafja03, heads up on an enhancement request for PLA.

Andrew