Db2 Tools

View Only
  • 1.  Message DBG55092E description needs update for invalid RAF setup

Posted Aug 16, 2018 12:14 PM

Don't believe message updates warrant an Idea, so used the Discussion feature instead.

Recently encountered this for a client. They created the RAF Vtam definitions for all their Data Collectors and implemented them. But when they entered Sysview for DB2 and displayed the PICKDB2 screen, all the remote Data Collectors were listed as inactive. Selecting one of these entries would display message DBG55092E. I verified that the remote data collectors were indeed active, that RAF was up and running for the local and remote DCs, and there were no obvious messages in DBGPRINT concerning this problem.

The description for this message indicates that some aspect of the UI Parms member (IDUIPRMS) does not match the corresponding parms defined for the remote Data Collector. The parms in question would be Location, DB2 SSID and RAF Vtam applid, which are used in the APPLS parm member, as well as the Proc jcl. However, this client was using the same members in the same datasets for all active Data Collectors. And the Proc jcls were correct.

I finally discovered that the client had implemented the RAF Vtam definitions in a single member of their Vtam dataset, and used this same member across all Lpars to activate the RAF Vtam applids.

As a result, the remote Data Collector Vtam applid was active on the local lpar, as well as the remote Lpar.  When Sysview for DB2 used this locally active 'remote' Vtam applid, since the remote Data Collector associated with the applid was not running on the local lpar, Sysview for DB2 interpreted it as being inactive.

Once the client prepared separate members for each Lpar in their Vtam dataset, which contained the RAF Vtam applids for just that Lpar, and varied these active in their respective Lpars, the problem was corrected.

I would like to see the description for message DBG55092E updated to include the above situation as a possible reason for the error message. Or if it is possible to detect the invalid RAF setup (Supposed remote RAF applid active on local lpar?), to generate a different message?

• 2.  Re: Message DBG55092E description needs update for invalid RAF setup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 17, 2018 09:25 AM

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have verified this scenario with the team today and updated the message DBG55092E accordingly.

Have a great weekend,

Tomaz