Db2 Tools

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Error HO

Diane Visk

Diane ViskDec 06, 2016 11:56 AM

BETH HENSON

BETH HENSONDec 09, 2016 08:02 AM

• 1.  In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Error HO

Posted Dec 06, 2016 10:40 AM

In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed. I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Error HOLDDATA using CAUNZIP.  This says you should logon check the download center and request a complete package, check out etc.  Is there a directory we can still pull the hyper bucket through batch for CA Tools R19?

• 2.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2016 11:56 AM

Called customer opening a case.

• 3.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Dec 08, 2016 01:58 PM

Hi Beth, hi Diane, the ptf bucket was a never documented method  to apply maintenance. It was available, for all the old releases, at least since 11.5. The only documentation was in the TOP TIP: CA DB2 Tools Maintenance Grid and PTF Bucket  below. Never in a manual. But a lot of long time Platinum/CA DB2 Tools clients used it and where able to run one batch job for example every month and apply the current maintenance. The job needs never modified. @Beth, with the regular CA method you need hours or days for that, because you get for each ptf one file and must upload it and later create the receive job. For the DB2 Tools we get sometimes  100 or more ptfs for few months. Btw. the ptf bucket for R18 is located on ftp://ftp.ca.com/pub/db2hyper/D18/D18-PTFPKG.

• 4.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Dec 08, 2016 02:15 PM

Erwin, I have the r18 hyper, was wanting the r19.  Diane Visk is helping as well.  Thanks for the history on it too.  Beth

• 5.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Dec 08, 2016 02:02 PM

And the ptf file is updated every night at about 5:00 in the morning.

• 6.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Dec 09, 2016 04:20 AM

Beth, there is also an idea open to that topic. You could vote for the ptfbucket in idea I want to get the PTF bucket which accumulated PTFs which created after released V19.0 0000 as same V18.0 or before  to hopefully get it faster.

Erwin

• 7.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Dec 09, 2016 08:02 AM

Thank you Erwin!  Beth

• 8.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 09, 2016 09:06 AM

Erwin,   A new process has been established for downloading maintenance as an interim solution.
     We would encourage anyone interested to reach out to support for details.  Beth has been taken care of.

Thanks, Diane

• 9.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 03, 2018 01:44 PM

Hello, this stopped working again.  I am trying to find the doc to change my jobs as since this was not documented officially I guess I need to stop using it or risk it randomly going away.  It worked last month on September 6th. 

cd /pub/db2hyper/D19/D19-PTFPKG - says not found now. 

Just thought I should post this in case others are having issues. 

Beth Henson

• 10.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 04, 2018 02:12 PM

this happened in 2015 as well (again without notification) - I screamed a bit and they were re-installed - if I remember the product support staff was unaware of the removal of the ptf buckets as well .....

• 11.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 04, 2018 02:16 PM

Thanks Chris.  I opened a question and Keith is assisting.  Beth

• 12.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 05, 2018 11:20 AM

i noticed that the R20 ptf bucket is also missing - or in such a condition to render it unavailable to FTP processing

beth - when you heart back from CA, please share the results with the community

• 13.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 16, 2018 06:41 AM

This is what was provided:

1) Logon on to SO

2) Select Download Management

3) Select a product say CA Detector

4) Select Solution Download

5) Select your Release

6) Select your Components that you want included

7) Select Filter

8) You should get a list of ptfs, keep adding to the CART

until you have them all.

9) Select download for downloading the CART contents.

A bucket would be much easier, similar to what IBM provides for SMPE work.  Thank you.  Beth Henson

• 14.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 23, 2018 06:15 AM

Hello Beth, 

Currently there are three methods available to download and apply PTF's to CA DB2 .

- Create a scart0.zip in CA Support support.ca.com
    With this method you have to create the scart0.zip in CA Support, the steps described in previous entry will create the scart0.zip file,  then you have to unzip the file and apply the PTF's. Knowledge Document KB000040176 has sample JCL's to work with CAUNZIP utility and run the SMP/E RECEIVE/APPLY of the maintenance.

Sample JCL's to apply maintenance and published PTF's

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/sample-jcls-to-apply-maintenance-and-published-ptfs/kb000040176

All these steps have to be run manually.

If you like to work with a more automatic process you can work with any of the following methods to apply maintenance.

- CA Chorus Software Manager (CA CSM).
    To apply PTF's with this method the base install has to be run with CA CSM as well. CA CSM is installed from CA Common Services, you can find the complete docs in the following link:

CA Chorus Software Manager - 6.0 and 6.1

https://docops.ca.com/ca-chorus-software-manager/6-1/en

You can check with the CA Common Services System Programmer to see if CA CSM is installed in your site.

- CA SMP/E Internet Service Retrieval
    This method was started in January 2018, you can find the information in the following link:

https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/status/announcement-documents/2018/ca-smp-e-receive-order---maintenance-delivery-made-easy.html

It requires a customization but you can find the documentation in the provided link. This method is probably the most similar to the PTF Bucket that was available in the past. 

I hope this information helps.

Thanks.

Josep Raull
    CA DB2 Tools L1 Support

• 15.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 24, 2018 07:33 AM

Thank you Josep.  This is helpful, but the buckets would be nice.  Beth Henson

• 16.  Re: In the past we have on a monthly basis run two jobs to receive CA Tools holddata and hyper maintenance and only apply if needed.  I have looked through the online documentation trying to find the hyper bucket, but only see Receive Maintenance and Erro

Posted Oct 25, 2018 11:20 AM

I wanted the bucket back as well.  CA helped me get started with the new maintenance download process which turns out to be a very easy way to download all maintenance, a few PTFs or RECOMMENDED maintenance, HYPERS and HOLDDATA..

There was some security (We use RACF) work needed for setup.

I was provided this link which was very helpful to get started.

. RECEIVE ORDER information is available for customers at https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/status/announcement-documents/2018/ca-smp-e-receive-order---maintenance-delivery-made-easy.html

Daniel Brown

BlueCross BlueShield of SC