Dispatch

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6, and my question is:  are archived reports considered part of "online viewing", and should they be considered when assessing the space needed in allocation the linear data set?  Thanks!

• 1.  Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6, and my question is:  are archived reports considered part of "online viewing", and should they be considered when assessing the space needed in allocation the linear data set?  Thanks!

Posted Mar 05, 2015 08:19 AM

Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6 and my question is:  are reports archived to tape considered part of online viewing and should they be considered when assessing space for allocation of the linear dataset?  Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6, and my question is:  are archived reports considered part of "online viewing", and should they be considered when assessing the space needed in allocation the linear data set?  Thanks!

Posted Mar 09, 2015 11:16 AM

Anyone able to assist Kevin here?

Kevin Ford wrote:

Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6 and my question is:  are reports archived to tape considered part of online viewing and should they be considered when assessing space for allocation of the linear dataset?  Thanks!

• 3.  Re: Hello!  Running CA Dispatch 11.6, and my question is:  are archived reports considered part of "online viewing", and should they be considered when assessing the space needed in allocation the linear data set?  Thanks!
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 12:33 PM

Hello Kevin,

I'm very sorry for the delay in responding. Your question was only recently posted to the "Output Management Community" which is where we monitor for CA Dispatch related questions, ideas and discussions.

The simple answer to your question is NO, archived report data is not considered part of "online viewing data".

That said, the technical answer to your question as it pertains to LDS space usage is actually a little tricky. This is why...

When the report data comes into Dispatch, only 1 image of the report data is "stored" in the LDS files. From that one image, we set "PROCESS FLAGS" that tell Dispatch what we are supposed to do with that data. Should we print it? Should we archive it? Is the report defined to go to online viewing?

As each of the individual Dispatch subtasks processes that data, the process flags get reset. So, if the report gets printed, the RPI subtask will build a bundle and the RPO task will write an image of the data out to JES for PRINT and then reset the print process flag from Y to N. If the report is defined for ARCHIVE, the ARCH1 subtask will write an image of that same report data to tape and then reset the archive process flag from Y to N. Considering this, reports that come into Dispatch will be at least "temporarily" stored in the LDS files until such time as all of the process flags have been reset. Once all of the process flags have been reset, the data will be deleted from the LDS files.

The KEY to how long the one image of report data will actually be stored in the LDS files is whether or not the report is defined to go into ONLINE VIEWING!

If the report is defined to go to online viewing, the OLV process flag will be set to a 'Y' and will remain a 'Y' up until the Dispatch defined online viewing RETENTION for that report has been exceeded. Only after the retention has been exceeded will the OLV process flag be reset to a 'N' and the data associated to that report deleted out of the LDS files.

Considering all of the above, the technical answer to your question is that, if you send and keep most of your reports in online viewing, then you do not need to consider any additional LDS space for the archival of reports. However, if you don't send your reports into online viewing, then you do need to consider having enough LDS space allocated in order to temporarily store the data to be ARCHIVED but only up to the point where the ARCH1 subtask writes it to tape. Once it's written to tape, the data will be deleted from the LDS's if the report is not defined to go into to online viewing.

Again, VERY SORRY for the delay in responding. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If this was the information that you needed, please post this question as being answered correctly. Thank You!