SYSVIEW Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  FILTER subcommand in CA-SYSVIEW

Posted Oct 01, 2019 11:35 AM
    So we have been using the FILTER sub-command from its initial deployment an up to our current version V15. 

Whilst FILTER is a powerful and useful option its one which we constantly have to highlight to new - and in some cases experienced - users of the product. 

What option or thoughts do we have to make the FILTER more visible and amenable to users, e.g. from CTRANLOG ? 

Comments, ideas etc all welcome.

• 2.  RE: FILTER subcommand in CA-SYSVIEW
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2019 06:31 AM
    Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback on the FILTER panel.

If you wish to make FILTER more visible to your users, you could set FILTER to the default command parameter for CTRANLOG. This would route you directly to CTRANLOG FILTER when the CTRANLOG command is issued. 

To try this in your profile:
    1. Issue PROFILE CTRANLOG
    2. Select "Miscellaneous"
    3. Set "Default parameters" fields to FILTER
    4. Issue PROFILE SAVE

PF3 back to the main menu to test it out. If you enter CTRANLOG, you should now be taken directly to the FILTER panel.
    If you enter CTRANLOG with parameters, it will instead take you directly to CTRANLOG (not FILTER). For example, CTRANLOG TRAN CEMT.

If you wish to make this change so it affects all users, you could update the DEFAULT profile to do the same thing.

To make this change:
    1. Issue PROFILE CHANGE DEFAULT (note you will have to be a SYSVIEW admin)
    2. Select "CTRANLOG"
    3. Select "Miscellaneous"
    4. Set "Default parameters" fields to FILTER
    5. Issue PROFILE SAVE

Again, I would have a few users test this out by logging into a fresh SYSVIEW session, issuing CTRANLOG, and ensure they are routed to the FILTER panel. Note this change will only affect users that have not already set a default command parameter for CTRANLOG in their own profile. The default profile never overrides user profiles if they have something already explicitly set for this setting.

Regards,
    Jason Brosius
    CA SYSVIEW

------------------------------
    Senior Software Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: FILTER subcommand in CA-SYSVIEW

Posted Oct 07, 2019 09:21 AM
    Thanks Jason - appreciate the feedback here - and indeed what you've suggested is one possible route.
    I guess the problem I can see here is that changing the CTRANLOG as such would probably generate more questions from our devt and support communities.

I also suspect most users want to see an initial result set from CTRANLOG and then have the option of going into the FILTER sub-command ​- in effect the issue therefore remains that there is nothing in the panel which helps the user use the FILTER option.

Do you think it may be more appropriate for me to raise an IDEA instead ?

• 4.  RE: FILTER subcommand in CA-SYSVIEW

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2019 12:40 PM
    Hi John,

It's understandable it may raise some questions from the users. An IDEA would be appropriate, yes. I would suggest raising one. I would ask that you give some specifics about what you are looking for. What would you like to see changed (i.e, on the CTRANLOG command, FILTER panel, defaults, etc.) and some context around why/use cases (even though you might have already done that in this thread). If we address this, we want to make sure we address the "why" as well as the "what".

Regards,
    Jason Brosius

Senior Software Engineer
    Broadcom