SYSVIEW Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  monitoring the CICS files availability

Posted Jun 10, 2019 04:52 PM
    Hello Community.

Our customer asked us, the monitoring the CICS files availability for all CICS regions, I've reviewed the Sysview manuals but it not has been useful , the  I'd like  if you can help me with your experiences if you can provide me any  paper  or documentation will be most appreciate.
    Many thanks!
    Fernando

• 2.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2019 07:56 AM
    The SYSVIEW for CICS data collection component has the ability to monitor the status of CICS files.
    The CFILES command can be used to interactively display the OPEN/CLOSES status and ENABLED/DISABLED status as well as other definition properties and statistics.

The files for a single CICS region can be displayed using the command: CFILES
    The files for all CICS regions on the current LPAR/SYSTEM can be displayed using the command: CFILES SYSTEM
    The files for all CICS regions on all connected LPARS can be displayed using the command: CFILES XSYSTEM

The data collector can also monitor the OPEN/CLOSE and ENABLE/DISABLE status for you in the background.
    Alerts or exceptions can be generated of the status is not the desired status or state.

This is done using SYSVIEW state processing.
    SYSVIEW allows you to customize the types of data collections that are active.
    The collection or monitoring of CICS files states is controlled by the CICS schedule event named: "SYSTEM-FILES"
    The defined set of schedule events can be found using the command: CSCHEDUL
    If the name "SYSTEM-FILES" is highlighted, it is indicating that the event in inactive or disabled.  It must be enabled to perform the desired function. There is also a column named "Status" on the CSCHEDUL command to indicate the enable/disable status of the event.

Once the event is enabled, then processing will be performed to the CICS files.
    The status of the CICS files will be monitored. The actions taken will be determined based on the CICS state definitions.
    The CICS state definitions can be found using the command: CSTATES

SYSVIEW is shipped with default out-of-the-box state definitions that should be acceptable.
    The out-of-the-box definitions will alert you when a file is DISABLED or CLOSED.
    Additional definitions can be added if specific actions are needed by file name.

See the CSTATES command and definitions with metric names: FILEENA and FILEOPEN

• 3.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Posted Jun 11, 2019 11:51 AM
    Todd, 
    I could able going forward with the first step of the requirement of our customer, but the second part and the most important  is manage it as alert and/or  exception,  so I want to bother you if you can provide me your advise how to do that.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Fernando

• 4.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2019 11:55 AM
    A Great and detailed explanation!

See the CA-SYSVIEW 15.0 doc set for a complete explanation which begins with the Section Entitled CICS Data Collection which can be found here:

And is expounded upon further in the SubSection entitled CICS State Metrics and Possible Values found here
    :

• 5.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Posted May 27, 2021 11:02 AM
    Hi Robert

From documentation is seems that it is not possible to monitor a CICS file status of UNENABLED.

That is correct?  It is not planned to add more file status?

• 6.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Posted May 27, 2021 11:03 AM
    Hi Robert

For a particular situation we need to monitor a CICS File with status UNENABLED.  From documentation, this is not possible, correct?  Can you confirm please?
    Thanks in advance.

• 7.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 27, 2021 01:34 PM
    That would be correct.
    -Bob Brandl

------------------------------
    Robert Brandl
    Software Support Engineer, Team SYSVIEW
    Broadcom

• 8.  RE: monitoring the CICS files availability

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 28, 2021 09:38 AM
    If you would like to see additional status that may have become available my suggestion would be to open an enhancement or 'IDEA' out on the CA-SYSVIEW communities page.

-Bob Brandl

Robert Brandl
    Software Support Engineer, Team SYSVIEW
    Broadcom