Datacom

View Only
  • 1.  Doubt in CA datacom

Posted Jun 17, 2021 03:55 PM
    Hi All,

We are supporting datacom, without any prior knowledge or training. I had following questions 

1. I hope in datacom plan level binds are performed. How to check dependent plans on datacom table. We are performing alters, but not looking plans.

2. I hope datacom can not be access from remote.

Please clarify my doubts 

Thanks and Regards 
    Venkata rama rajesh #

• 2.  RE: Doubt in CA datacom

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2021 09:40 AM
    Hello Venkata,
    about your first question, you can find a section on the Datacom documentation that deals with Impact Analysis Report, in particular the part dealing with SQL Processing. As you can read there, you can run a DDUTILTY Indented report using the IMPACT1 path defined on that page.
    Please also note that an automatic rebind of the plans is attempted by Datacom/DB when there are table changes. See "Rebind a Plan".

About your second question, could you please provide additional details about the meaning of "remote" here? If you mean a different LPAR, you can use XCF or CCI. If you mean a different platform (Unix, Linux or Windows), you can use JDBC or ODBC applications via Datacom Server.

Best regards, Umberto

------------------------------
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Doubt in CA datacom

Posted Jun 18, 2021 09:49 AM
    Hello Venkata, 

A change to a table that could change the optimization of a plan will cause the plan to be marked invalid. When you alter a table, let's say add a key, plans that access that table may benefit from that new key. Those plans are marked invalid. The next time that plan is called, it is rebuilt and will take advantage of that new key, if appropriate. I see a message pair like the following, in PXX, when an invalid plan is next accessed:
    S00E6 STMTEXEC: SYSUSR GRXQ0136 N.GRXQ0136 N NOT EXECUTABLE - REBINDING
    S00E6 STMTEXEC: SYSUSR GRXQ0136 Y .GRXQ0136 Y REBIND SUCCESSFUL
    In database 2, DATA-DICT, there is a PLAN table with a field PLN_VALID that will contain an 'N' between the time of the alter and the rebind. Before the alter and after the successful rebind, the field will be 'Y'.

As far as "remote connections are not possible in Datacom", I'm not certain what you mean. Are you asking if your databases are secure from access outside your organization? A database's purpose is to serve data. Like any database platform, Datacom should be secured to prevent access that you don't want to allow.

• 4.  RE: Doubt in CA datacom

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2021 09:52 AM

There is a Datadictionary path report to show dependent plans. But Datacom will automatically rebind dependent plans when they are next executed, so you don't need to take any action.  If want the list of plans, let me know, and I'll have someone from Datationary reply with the JCL and input commands for that.

Can you explain your second question more?  Datacom is not directly accessible outside the mainframe.  If you have a Datacom Server connected to the Datacom Multi-User Facility (MUF) region, then applications sending ODBC/JDBC requests to Server's IP listening port can pass those requests on to the database.  Server has optional log on for security. But MUF itself has no networking facility.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Dick

Broadcom SQL development staff

• 5.  RE: Doubt in CA datacom

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2021 09:30 AM
    I do have a simple COBOL (batch) DSF (Dictionary Service Facility) program that scans dictionary and shows all plans that have been marked invalid. 

It can generate the Rebind commands so that Plans can be rebound ahead of the plans' first use.

I wrote it for a site that did all their database changes over the weekend and wanted to have the plans that were affected rebound before the week started.  It simplified the manual process of doing rebinds in advance and also gave them a chance to get things rebound before user activity ramped up.

If you are just doing a change every so often, this process may be overkill, and just letting Datacom do the auto rebind would be simpler.

Let me know if you are interested. 

Kevin
    Kevin Shuma
    Director of Engineering, Broadcom Mainframe Division
    Office: 469 497 4863  | Mobile: 214 280-5907
    5465 Legacy Drive, Plano, TX 75024-3106

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.