Datacom

View Only
  • 1.  Scenario : Datacom/DB Upgrade from R11 to R15.x

Posted Jul 06, 2016 05:06 AM

Hello Datacom Community,

I'm working on the following scenario :

Migrating from R11SP4 (EOS 30/11/2011!!!) to the R15.x

I request your advices for the safest (and quickest) roadmap.

First option :

I know that R12 cannot be ordered again,but i believe that it's possible to migrate from R11 support R14,

then migrating to R15.x

Second option :  Migrate from R11 to R15.x but i'm not sure to cover all the "Release dependant" changes.

Any advices will be much appreciated !

Best Regards,

Jérôme.  

• 2.  Re: Scenario : Datacom/DB Upgrade from R11 to R15.x

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2016 09:33 AM

Hello Jérôme,

you cannot skip any release when upgrading Datacom/DB, so you have to upgrade from 11.0 to 12.0 first, then to 14.0 and finally to 15.0. If you need Datacom/DB 12.0 pax file, please open a case to Datacom support and we can help you in downloading it.

Best regards, Umberto

• 3.  Re: Scenario : Datacom/DB Upgrade from R11 to R15.x
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 06, 2016 09:55 AM

Hi Jérôme,

For this discussion I will assume that you are a full Datacom/DB client and running on z/OS (for Datacom/AD and z/VSE clients the answers are different).

Unfortunately you cannot skip the r11->12.0 and 12.0->14.0 upgrades as there are significant changes to the Data-Dictionary structure (and other system databases) that must be applied during the upgrade processes. In fact most older sites have had to apply several additional remedial actions in order to complete the r11-> 12.0 -> 14.0 upgrades.

While you cannot download Datacom/DB 12.0 directly from CA Support Online, and there is no support for r11 or 12.0 environments, you will find that CA Support are a friendly bunch and will be pleased to encourage your upgrade to a current release, including supplying you with a tape image for 12.0.

The good news is that once you reach 14.0, the upgrade process has been hugely simplified, and from there you can upgrade directly from 14.0 to 15.1 (skipping 15.0 if you wish).

If you are not familiar with these upgrade processes, and would rather have the upgrades completed for you, then CA Services and several other partners (such as ourselves) are available to assist you.

Best regards,

Owen Williams

• 4.  Re: Scenario : Datacom/DB Upgrade from R11 to R15.x

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2017 09:55 AM

TEC1191895  created from this question.