Datacom

View Only
  • 1.  Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Posted Oct 20, 2015 05:02 PM

Tech Tip from Pat O'brien, Principal Support Engineer for, Oct 20,2015

Question:

I have CA Datacom Server Version 11.0 still installed on some client machines and we need to upgrade them to the current version of the product. I understand that the product uninstall can be run on each machine. Is there a way to run a "silent uninstall" of the product instead?

Answer:

To do a silent uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0, invoke the CA Datacom Server 11.0 Installer with the following Command-Line Parameters.

The attached uninst_r11.iss file must be downloaded and placed in the same folder as the Server 11.0 Installer.

In this example, the installer and the uninstall .iss file is located in c:\Server11Install\. The Server 11.0 installer executable is named DatacomServer_r11.exe.

C:\Server11Install>DatacomServer_r11 /s /x /removeonly /f1"c:\Server11Install\uninst_r11.iss" /f2"c:\Server11Installs\uninstR11.log"

/s – denotes silent operation

/x – denotes uninstall

/removeonly – denotes that a remove operation is the only desired option. It bypasses the prompt asking the user to update or remove Server 11.

/f1 – points to the uninst_r11.iss response file which was produced by invoking DatacomServer_r11 /r /f1”…/uninst_r11.exe”. Use an absolute path; using a relative path gives unpredictable results

/f2 – point to location and file name for a install/uninstall log file. This switch is optional but may be needed if the uninstall fails for some reason.

If the attached uninstall response file does not work, you can create your own response file using the following Command-Line parameters.

In this case, /f1 denotes the location and name of where the response file should be placed.

C:\Server11Install>DatacomServer_r11 /r /x /removeonly /f1"c:\Server11Install\uninst_r11_atYourSite.iss" /f2"c:\Server11Installs\uninstR11.log"

Additional Information:

Refer to the InstallShield information available here: http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield18helplib/IHelpSetup_EXECmdLine.htm

unistl_r11.iss.JPG

• 2.  Re: Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Posted Oct 21, 2015 05:36 AM

Pat, thanks for this one.

I have a question.  is this for Windows servers and/or PCs?  I have only one production WINDOWS server and a few PCs with DB Server installed on them, the rest are on UNIX servers.

• 3.  Re: Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 11:00 AM

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your question.

While I personally have not gone through the process, my understanding is that you should be able to create a silent uninstall or install response file on the pc or server machine using the product's installer to uninstall or install and then use that response file then on another machine of the same operating system and version.

Perhaps another in our CADRE community has some experience with that to share.

• 4.  Re: Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 21, 2015 11:18 AM

Hi again,

Lynette corrected me!

The silent install/uninstall is only for Windows.

On UNIX/Linux, we simply provide the cadcjdbc.jar file.

There is no installation script or executable for non-Windows platforms.

• 5.  Re: Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Posted Oct 22, 2015 12:06 AM

Pat,

you did answer my question.  but I think the question was poorly written.

I was certain about UNIX/Linux applications.

So, any Windows server or PC will need to have the uninstall of R11 done, before R14 is applied.

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Tech Tip: CA Datacom/DBSRV -  Silent Uninstall of CA Datacom Server 11.0

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2015 12:08 PM

Hi Robert,

CA Datacom Server 11.0 must be uninstalled before installing Server 14.0. The Server 14.0 x86 (32bit) installer will stop if Server 11.0 is detected.

The 64bit installer will not stop because there was no 64bit for Server 11.0. However, it is highly recommended (required really) that Server 11.0 be removed even before the Server 14.0 x64 is installed.