Broadcom Customer Care

View Only
  • 1.  Web address gets *removed* randomly, trying to figure out if Symantec VIP is the cause

Posted Sep 10, 2020 08:52 AM
    Edited by Jason McClellan Sep 10, 2020 08:51 AM
    Hello,

Pretty sure this might not be the place to ask this, but it's the end of the line from Symantec.
    My situation:
    I bought a refurbished laptop (Dell A6410 ATG) to replace her previous laptop. She's pretty hard on them, so we bought a "rugged" one.
    She accesses work (medical Dr.) via VPN through her organization's website and Symantec VIP. With this new laptop, we're getting periodic disconnects during a session. When this happens, the web address is unresponsive through the browser (Internet Explorer, Edge, or Chrome all exhibit the same behavior). Regardless of the browser used to initiate the session, that web address is then unavailable on any other browser. Any other web address can be reached when this happens, regardless of browser. Only her work address is dead. Restarting the laptop allows access again until the random event happens again; sometimes it goes hours without incident, others it can happen 2-3 times in a half-hour.
    At this point I don't know if I'm dealing with a hardware issue or a software issue. There is nothing obvious in the Windows error logs. So far the issue has only happened on wifi, but I have her using ethernet now to see if it is present there as well.
    Her old laptop has never exhibited this behavior; there's no indication that this is a home networking issue.

Her IT department at work is unhelpful beyond making sure her laptop and VIP are linked, which they are.

New installation of Windows 10 Pro. Fresh install of Symantec VIP with a new link unique to her laptop.

Any help you could offer would be welcome, even if it's a referral to another source. I wasn't counting on landing on a Broadcom support site (even though the wifi adapter in her laptop is Broadcom, ironically) for help, but as I said, this is where Symantec eventually redirected.

Thanks in advance!
    Erik

Admin edited title removed flagged work replaced with "removed"   9/10/20 7:51 am CST  Jason McClellan

• 2.  RE: Web address gets *removed* randomly, trying to figure out if Symantec VIP is the cause

Posted Sep 10, 2020 10:04 AM
    Glad this has finally been posted!

UPDATE: We've found that ethernet has yet to give the same disconnect as wifi. In addition, if the connection fails using wifi, it can be re-established by connecting the laptop to ethernet, without a reboot.

• 3.  RE: Web address gets *removed* randomly, trying to figure out if Symantec VIP is the cause

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2020 08:17 PM

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for posting this concern.

Request you to kindly direct this to the page dedicated to the VIP Forum - https://community.broadcom.com/symantecenterprise/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=8fdb453f-efea-40b8-bc98-55df677a10d3 or create a case from the portal for technical assistance (You would need the license information - Site ID to create the case)

Regards, 
    Aparna GS
    Broadcom Customer Care    

• 4.  RE: Web address gets *removed* randomly, trying to figure out if Symantec VIP is the cause

Posted Sep 12, 2020 09:17 PM
    Thank you, Aparma; I'll do that.