Broadcom Customer Care

View Only
  • 1.  Broken web ressources

Posted Nov 20, 2019 05:40 AM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Nov 20, 2019 05:41 AM

Hi.

This is just a heads up because I notice a trend.

Broadcom has, during it's migration, broken many domains from CA, Automic and others.

Some of these domains still redirect but trigger SSL warnings due to expired certificates (not looking very professional). Worse, some are simply gone, or redirect to a 404.

I recently see an increase of people responding to old community threads, not sure why. Maybe they use the forum search, which would be commendable. Some threads are necroed and then hijacked back from 2016, which isn't great style, but nobody at CA or Broadcom has ever taken meassures against bad forum style, so that's fair game I guess.

Then these folks realize the links in those threads, to the knowledge bases at CA or Automic or somesuch are broken. I have even helped some out with archive.org, but breaking the domains of aquisitions is not great, especially when one operates a community forum where these links have been widely posted over many years.

Here's just the latest example.

I'm sure the aquisitions came with a list of domains the former entiries operated. Please consider fixing what was broken.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 2.  RE: Broken web ressources

Posted Nov 21, 2019 04:42 AM

very true , lots of kb articles are also not returning any details

for ex :
    https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1082532.html

• 3.  RE: Broken web ressources

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 08:03 AM
    Hi Pavitrhra, 

Old URLs have been replaced with the new ones. I would recommend you to use the search option available on casupport.broadcom.com and search for the article. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards, 
    Heena

Regards, 
    Heena Tabassum
    Customer Care Community Admin
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Broken web ressources

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 07:52 AM
    Edited by Heena Tabassum Nov 22, 2019 07:52 AM
    Hello Carsten Schmitz,

Thank you for passing on your observations regarding broken links from web resources. As you rightly mentioned, there were certainly a few challenges our teams encountered with such a huge migration between Broadcom and CA.

There are some links that did not migrate over gracefully. Some (such as KB) was because the backend technology changed altogether. Most of these documents are out there with a changed URL and would require the users to search with keywords on techdocs.broadcom.com and should find them.

We would appreciate any reports of any broken links so we can reach out to the appropriate owner and get it fixed (certificate or broken link).

We would like to assure that our IT team is aware of these issues and is working on the redirects.
    As you may have guessed there are thousands of special URLs that we had in the past.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused assure that we will continue to improve migrated information.

Regards, 
    Heena Tabassum
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Broken web ressources

Posted Nov 22, 2019 08:05 AM
    Hi Heena,

Thanks​ for your response!

I understand the challenges, but it must be said that broken redirects are less than ideal as it confuses customers. It also must be said on the topic in general that throughout the Broadcom migration and also throughout previous migrations (e.g. Automic to CA) clients have previously been asked to report broken domains. I maintain now what I have maintained for quite some time: There are automated tools for checking links, be it commercial or free, and this should not be on the customer.

From top of my head in addition to what's already be pointed out, the following major domains are of note:

https://support.ca.com - functional redirect with broken SSL
    https://support.automic.com - functional redirect with broken SSL

But as outlined above, please understand that this is neither a comprehensive list nor do I put it upon me to report each and every broken resource individually. I did notice some days ago that several major domains returned from Google for (now) Broadcom products are broken, too, stuff like knowledge bases, but I can't recall now what these were.

Kind regards and have a good weekend,
    Carsten

• 6.  RE: Broken web ressources

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2019 08:16 AM
    Hi Carsten

Thank you once again. We will pass on your feedback to the concerned team.  
    Hope you have a great weekend too!

Regards, 
    Heena Tabassum
    Broadcom