Top Secret

View Only
  • 1.  TSS Disaster Recovery

Posted Mar 13, 2019 05:09 PM

This is just an INFO question. I was working on getting rid of UADS entries. So I was testing adding the TSO segment to the ID's and removing the UADS entry. No problem with that. The question came up that some of the UADS entries needed to be retained to allow disaster type recovery. I have always heard that and have had that at every place I have worked. Never had the need - but I wanted to test the theory.

I shutdown TSS (temporary) and tried to logon - entered an ID and the logon hung (with & without TSO segment) until I started TSS backup. Is there a way to test this - or is that not possible. If TSS doesn't come up during the IPL (abend,

JCL error or other) is there a way to logon to the system ?

Or is the only answer is to fix from another LPAR or have a recovery system ?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: TSS Disaster Recovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 12:32 PM

Hi Mark,

When you do a temporary shutdown of TSS, the DOWN options take affect. The recommended DOWN option setting is:

DOWN(BW,SB,TW,OW)

The 'TW' in this setting says for TSO signons, to wait for TSS to come back up. That's why when you tried to signon after the temporary shutdown that the logon hung. 

I will look into if there is a way to logon to the system if TSS doesn't come up during the IPL.

Best regards,

Bob Boerum

• 3.  Re: TSS Disaster Recovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 12:33 PM

Hi Mark,

In your test you did not IPL, only did a temporary shut down and I am not sure if that makes a difference.  If TSS is down, you can always come up on the back up.  I will have to find out about your scenario......however I think there may more factors that come into play.

Cheers,

~Eileen~

• 4.  Re: TSS Disaster Recovery

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 04:09 PM

Hi Mark,

If you want to test TSS not coming up at IPL time, you can remove the TSS CAKOLINK library from linklist and the TSS CAKOLPA library from the LPA list before IPLing. Once TSO is up without TSS ever having come up, the logon information from SYS1.UADS, including the password, will be used.

I found the following IBM link 

IBM Knowledge Center 

which states the following:

Moving the TSO user information to the RACF database eliminates the need to maintain an entry in SYS1.UADS for each TSO user. However, you must maintain entries in SYS1.UADS for certain users (such as IBMUSER and system programmers).

We recommend you maintain entries in SYS1.UADS for those same users (such as IBMUSER and system programmers).

Best regards,

Bob