IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  Visual DBA

Posted Sep 25, 2019 03:46 PM
    I am installing Visual DBA.  I was wondering what are the advantages of using Visual DBA over issuing the commands in the CV?  Did you roll this out to application developers?  If so, what do they uses the product for?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

• 2.  RE: Visual DBA
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2019 04:47 PM
    Hi Jennifer - 
         There are a few advantages to using Visual DBA over letting clients enter commands directly into the mainframe compilers: 
    1- Visual DBA does support entering commands directly into compilers using the Command Pane; but it also provides a GUI front-end as well as a menu-driven interface for database access. So if you want to provide the capability for folks to do certain things but don't want to train them in syntax, you can do that by using Visual DBA.
    2- With Visual DBA you can create profiles to allow end users retrieval-only access to databases; the procedure to do this is explained in Knowledge article 45128, titled "Configuring CA IDMS Visual DBA for read-only access".
    3- Similarly, using these profiles you can tightly control the various functions each user (or group) can perform, and which entity types and occurrences they can perform them on. The way to do that is explained in another Knowledge Article, 46432, titled "How to restrict CA IDMS Visual DBA access to specific entity types and occurrences".

I have walked many clients through the process of implementing profiles in this way. If I can help further with that, let me know and I can open a case with Support to work on that with you. Regards, Cal 

Cal Domingue
    Principal Support Engineer
    CA Broadcom 

------------------------------
    Cal Domingue
    Principal Software Engineer
    CA Broadcom
    San Francisco, CA
    ------------------------------