IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking end-user activity

Posted Apr 30, 2014 08:59 AM

I have been look into how to track user activity within our database.  We have two compliance needs one is to track all inquiry activity and secondarily we need to track the add, modify, delete activity.  

It appears from my research so far that there may be journal reporting software solution for the add, modify, delete portion of the requirements.  Though one product as-tracer appears to be no longer available and the other I have found mentioned ISP journal reporting has very sketchy descriptions of what it does and what the output would look like/if user ids are captured.  Does anyone have any information on these products or other solutions to this compliance issue.  We are processing between 400,000 and 600,000 transactions daily.  

• 2.  Re: [Application Developer Issues] Tracking end-user activity

Posted Apr 30, 2014 09:17 AM
    Hi,

I've used Journal Reporter from ISP for years, and I LOVE this product.
    Very easy to use, very efficient, and the reports are great.
    Furthermore, the support is exceptional. and no, I'm not getting paid
    to say this.

For your other compliance of tracking inquiry activity, it depends what
    level of tracking you need. If you need to keep track at the record
    level, you might have to write a database procedure to do so. This
    will be a lot of overhead however. I would presume that you wouldn't
    need this for all records, but just some critical ones.

Good luck,
    Laura Rochon
    Hera Evolution inc

On 30/04/2014 8:58 AM, CA IDMS IUA EIUA Global User CommunityMessage
    Boards wrote:
    >
    I have been look into how to track user activity within our database.
    We have two compliance needs one is to track all inquiry activity and
    secondarily we need to track the add, modify, delete activity.

It appears from my research so far that there may be journal reporting
    software solution for the add, modify, delete portion of the
    requirements. Though one product as-tracer appears to be no longer
    available and the other I have found mentioned ISP journal reporting
    has very sketchy descriptions of what it does and what the output
    would look like/if user ids are captured. Does anyone have any
    information on these products or other solutions to this compliance
    issue. We are processing between 400,000 and 600,000 transactions daily.

Posted by:svander
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.15281477.114803808@myca-email.ca.com
    https://communities.ca.com

• 3.  RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 07, 2014 12:50 PM

The problem you will have is that IDMS does not track the records that were retrieved.  You can create journal entry points for retrieval run units, but they would not have anything specific about the retrieval, only a summary.  You would have a problem with local running batch jobs, unless you put security in place to control who can access the database files.

A database procedure may be a solution, but even if you monitor only certain records it could affect performance, and you would need to make sure that nobody can introduce a schema/subschema that does not include the database procedure.  I am not sure how you could collect the information from the database procedure.  This is just an idea, I have never tried so it may not be possible, but maybe you could write an SMF record from the database procedure.

• 4.  RE: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 07, 2014 01:51 PM
    A database procedure would be an option but you have to remember, database procedures, regardless of what language they are written in, cannot issue DML verbs to the same rununit they have been called for.

The way I did this in another life was to issue PUT QUEUE’s to record the record’s being retrieved, stored, modified, etc, and then had a queue triggered task that read the queue and wrote the audit records to the audit area. By using queue, if the CV crashes before the records are written to the audit area, they’ll be there when the CV comes back up and the trigger task has catch up work to do, but eventually, it gets caught up and things begin working “normally”.

The biggest problem you’ll have is if you need these audit record from batch programs as well. With TCP now supported all over the place, maybe you could engineer a solution for the batch process to connect to a CV based process via TCP and then the batch program would communicate to CV that way. Problem there is that the CV could be down when the batch program runs so you’re back to the state you’re in now, no auditing.

An alternative to all of this may be to have a separate, small, CV where all the audit data goes. It would stay up 24/7/365 and receive all audit data, maybe via TCP.

Good Luck, and keep us posted what you end up doing.

Charles (Chuck) Hardee
    Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
    CCG Information Technology
    Thermo Fisher Scientific
    300 Industry Drive
    Pittsburgh, PA 15275
    Direct: 724-517-2633
    FAX: 412-490-9230
    Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com

From: CA IDMS IUA EIUA Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 12:50 PM
    To: mb_message.15281477.115664099@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Tracking end-user activity

The problem you will have is that IDMS does not track the records that were retrieved. You can create journal entry points for retrieval run units, but they would not have anything specific about the retrieval, only a summary. You would have a problem with local running batch jobs, unless you put security in place to control who can access the database files.

A database procedure may be a solution, but even if you monitor only certain records it could affect performance, and you would need to make sure that nobody can introduce a schema/subschema that does not include the database procedure. I am not sure how you could collect the information from the database procedure. This is just an idea, I have never tried so it may not be possible, but maybe you could write an SMF record from the database procedure.
    Posted by:tommy.petersen
    --
    mb_message.15281477.115664099@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.15281477.115664099@myca-email.ca.com>

• 5.  RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 07, 2014 07:01 PM

We used a database procedure  which wrote to SMF - so efficient that when benchmarked with and without the database procedure there was no measurable impact.

HTH - cheers - Gary

• 6.  RE: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 08, 2014 05:47 AM
    How did you extract your information from SMF?

Charles (Chuck) Hardee
    Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration
    CCG Information Technology
    Thermo Fisher Scientific
    300 Industry Drive
    Pittsburgh, PA 15275
    Direct: 724-517-2633
    FAX: 412-490-9230
    Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com

From: CA IDMS IUA EIUA Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:01 PM
    To: mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com

We used a database procedure which wrote to SMF - so efficient that when benchmarked with and without the database procedure there was no measurable impact.

HTH - cheers - Gary
    Posted by:Gary_Cherlet
    --
    mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com>

• 7.  RE: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 08, 2014 07:32 AM

For ongoing "production" reports there was a suite of SAS reports built on top of Merrill (?) - we also used Culprit for ad-hoc as we had more Culprit skills in-house than SAS skills after our system programmers were outsourced! Cheers - Gary

• 8.  RE: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Tracking end-user activity

Posted May 08, 2014 07:17 AM
    I have been involved in like processes and for audit reasons.

The data was written to GTF as “USR” entries instead of using SMF.

This was for ATM/POS transactions.

The cost of producing this GTF record was 000.002% of the transactional cost.

I only post in support of Gary’s statement, “was no measurable impact”.

Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:01 PM
    To: mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com

We used a database procedure which wrote to SMF - so efficient that when benchmarked with and without the database procedure there was no measurable impact.

HTH - cheers - Gary
    Posted by:Gary_Cherlet
    --
    mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.15281477.115734209@myca-email.ca.com>