IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  Disconnecting a record from a set

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:00 AM

Good day All, I have a owner record that is associated or linked to a child record and I would like to disconnect a specific set, with a spefic key which is known. The child record that must be deleted is also known. How do I disconnect? can I use DMLO or do it in a Cobol program?  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Disconnecting a record from a set

Posted Feb 06, 2014 09:33 AM

If the child record is to be deleted, you can just delete it, no need to disconnect first, just get currency on the child record and delete it.

• 3.  RE: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Disconnecting a record from a set

Posted Feb 06, 2014 10:52 AM
    In fact – depending upon how the set relationship is defined, deleting the child row may be the ONLY optional (it may not be possible to dis-associate the child from the parent row)

Chris hoelscher
    Technology Architect | Database Infrastructure Services
    Technology Solution Services
    [Description: Description: cid:image001.png@01CD13D7.1A57CAF0]
    123 East Main Street |Louisville, KY 40202
    choelscher@humana.com
    Humana.com
    (502) 476-2538 – office
    (502) 714-8615 - blackberry
    Keeping CAS and Metavance safe for all HUMANAty

From: CA IDMS IUA EIUA Global User CommunityMessage Boards [mailto:CommunityAdmin@communities-mail.ca.com]
    Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 9:34 AM
    To: mb_message.15281477.108887291@myca-email.ca.com
    Subject: [Application Developer Issues] RE: Disconnecting a record from a set

If the child record is to be deleted, you can just delete it, no need to disconnect first, just get currency on the child record and delete it.

Posted by:tommy.petersen
    --
    CA Communities Message Boards
    mb_message.15281477.108887291@myca-email.ca.com<mailto:mb_message.15281477.108887291@myca-email.ca.com>
    https://communities.ca.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
    and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you receive this material/information in error,
    please contact the sender and delete or destroy the material/information.

• 4.  RE: Disconnecting a record from a set

Posted Feb 06, 2014 05:48 PM

There are some database design issues to consider. If your dilemna is that the member record ( M let's say) participates as a member in a number of sets - then you may not want to ERASE it? If that's the case - then you will want to DISCONNECT M from just the one set - you must ensure that it is an optional member. If M is a mandatory member you can only remove M with an ERASE!

Knowing the "key" of the member record of a set is useful if it is a sorted set - in which case you can do OBTAIN member-record within set-name using sort-key-value. If it is not a sorted set then you must use iterative OBTAIN next member-record within set-name statements to locate the desired record using comparison statements to identify the desired record's "key".

HTH - cheers - GaryC