Vtape

View Only
  • 1.  CA-Vtape Backstore tape list

Posted Jan 26, 2016 01:33 PM

In CA-Vtape, I would like to be able to get a report of backstore tapes. So far, I've found several reports that list virtual tapes and their physical tape.  I don't care about the hundreds of virtual tapes. I only need a list of the backstore tapes.  I can't use the Vantage-Vtape interface because it uses too much CPU. I would like to run a batch job. Earl or another process is fine. I am considering this an enhancement request because there isn't anything in the product now. Thanks.

• 2.  Re: CA-Vtape Backstore tape list

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2016 04:36 AM

Hello Judy,

If you would like to get all the Backstore tapes in CA1, this is possible by running an EARL which will read the TMC and select only them.

Depending on what you really would like to acheive, I think it should not be complicated to get that information.

I can provide you a Rexx sample to adapt but I think the best is to open a case so I could work closely with you to get this running and provide you what you need.

Now regarding Ca Vantage consumption, I am surprise as the latest R14.0 version is consuming less CPU and the use of the Gui interface is helpfull in your case.

Maybe another case should be open for this subject too so we could help you to get Ca Vantage be optimized even if you are running the R12.6.

Thank you.

Pierre Montel

• 3.  Re: CA-Vtape Backstore tape list
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 05, 2016 10:59 AM

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

FEBRUARY 05, 2016 REPLY FROM SYED KAZMI (PLEASE ALSO SEE THE FEBRUARY 17, 2016 UPDATE BELOW)

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello Judy,

If you simply want a list of the backstore Physical tape Volsers, the following idea from Lawrence Lee might work for you, since it run the Vtape backstore report with commands to generate a unique list of Physical Volsers. Please try it and let us know if this meets your need, or if you need any further assistance in this regard:

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date: February 4, 2016 at 5:51:55 PM CST

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Another idea would be to take the output of the Vtape backstore report and sort the report records on physical volser, eliminating duplicate records by coding SUM FIELDS=NONE.  For example:

//JOBCARD…

// SET SVTS=SVT5

//*

//* RUN BACKSTORE REPORT

//STEP10   EXEC PGM=SVTSUTIL,PARM='SVTS=&SVTS'  

//SYSPRINT DD DISP=(NEW,PASS),DSN=&&LSTBK,      

// UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(15,15)),   

// DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=133) 

//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*

//UTLWK01  DD SPACE=(CYL,(15,8)),UNIT=SYSDA     

//UTLWK02  DD SPACE=(CYL,(15,8)),UNIT=SYSDA     

//SYSIN    DD *

REPORT=BACKSTORE

//*

//* RUN SORT

//STEP20   EXEC PGM=SORT

//SYSOUT   DD SYSOUT=*

//SORTIN   DD DISP=(OLD,DELETE),DSN=&&LSTBK

//SORTOUT  DD SYSOUT=*

//SYSIN    DD *

SORT FIELDS=(26,6,A),FORMAT=BI

SUM FIELDS=NONE

Thanks

Syed Kazmi

Product Owner (CA Vtape, CA Tape Encryption)
    CA Technologies, Inc.

Syed.Kazmi@ca.com

FEBRUARY 17, 2016 UPDATE TO THE ABOVE REPLY OF FEBRUARY 05, 2016

Hello,

Upon further review, on February 12, 2016, Larry Lee suggested the following change to his JCL suggestion that I posted in my above reply (on February 05, 2016):

Find this line of code in the JCL:--> SORT FIELDS=(26,6,A),FORMAT=BI

And replace the 27 to 26, so it looks like this:--> SORT FIELDS=(27,6,A),FORMAT=BI

On February 12, 2016, the above correction was suggested by David Lower (CA Support) to Judy Holm, through a post to the CA Service Cloud support case # 00292421.

On February 16, 2016, Judy Holm acknowledged that "...this is an ok solution...", and "You can close this ticket."

Thanks

Syed Kazmi

Product Owner (CA Vtape, CA Tape Encryption)
    CA Technologies, Inc.

Syed.Kazmi@ca.com