CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA7 log with splunk intergration

• 1.  CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jun 25, 2019 11:07 AM
    Hi ,

Good Day !

Could you please advise there is any option to integrate CA7 with splunk ..?
    I am thinking of create alert & dashboard in splunk for CA7 monitoring.

Thanks,
    Rakesh.

------------------------------
    Rakesh

• 2.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2019 11:53 AM
    Hi Rakesh,

There is no interface between CA7 and Splunk. We have a product called iDash that will monitor CA7 in real time where you are able to create SLAs to alert you of jobs status and dashboards as well. For more information, please review the following product link for CA iDash.

https://www.ca.com/us/products/ca-workload-automation-idash.html

Regards,
    Dai

• 3.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jun 25, 2019 01:20 PM
    Hi Dai,

Thanks for your reply, I am just looking for use available product in my shop and come up with some dashboard.
    It is much helpful if get some advise to achieve my requirement in any other way.

• 4.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 02, 2019 08:51 AM
    Rakesh,

Can you please provide more details on what information you are trying to get from CA 7 and what will be done with the data. Are you going after job status information, abends , etc?
    As mentioned in the previous update, CA 7 does not have a direct interface into Splunk. CA 7 does have external communicators that can be called to access CA 7 and get status information and/or provide database updates.

-Roderick

• 5.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 08:42 AM
    I am posting the reply from Rakesh to this thread so the community can follow:

Hi Roderick,

I am looking for develop dashboard with following details,

1) Jobs in abend queue,
    2) Jobs in held queue,
    3) Job in REQ queue,
    4) Long run Jobs    etc.,

Could you please help to how we can get these details and forward to splunk. 
    If there is any other useful information specific to job level such as CPU consumption, next come to schedule, override jobs etc.,if possible to get it.

-------------------------

• 6.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 03, 2019 09:59 AM
    Rakesh,

As previously stated we do have external communicators that Splunk can call to issue commands in CA 7 and get data back and use it to populate the dashboard. We have a sample java or C program that can be called and this program will access CA 7 via the CA 7 tcpip interface. So, if you wanted to find out jobs in abend status you can issue the LIST command and take the response from the command and parse/populate your Splunk dashboard. 

So basically you can logon to CA 7 and issue commands and get whatever data you need just as you would from the CA 7 web client or native logon screen.

Below is a link to the documentation for the java-to-CA 7 interface. Please take a look to see if this will work for you. If so, open a support case and will provide program to you.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-ca-7-edition/12-0/en/configuring/interfaces/external-communicators/interface-with-tcp-ip/execute-the-tcp-ip-java-to-program-interface 

-Roderick

• 7.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jul 03, 2019 01:08 PM
    Hi Roderick,

Thanks for your response, I think this info help to achieve my requirement. 
    Let me check my side how feasible to implement this and let you know if any more information need.

Thanks,
    Rakesh. 

• 8.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jul 03, 2019 12:58 PM
    Hi Rakesh,

Since you said you would like to use something that you already have in your shop, I am not sure if you prefer below however here is the solution that I am aware of to integrate Ca7 with Splunk.

In fact it is not just Ca7 but the integration of Mainframes and Splunk in near real time. For this you need to get a product called 'IronStream' from SyncSort/Keylink.

If it is just Ca7 - Splunk integration, as Roderick mention below, you can always issue LIST command via a batch job that will run multiple times in a day and Connect: Direct the output to Splunk server. ​Or place the output file some how on to Splunk server from where Splunk can pick it up, index it and bring up your dashboard as you wish.

Regards,
    Arun PB.

• 9.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jul 08, 2019 01:28 PM
    Hi Arun,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think this is pretty much easier than earlier option. I will explore more on this. 

Thanks,
    Rakesh

• 10.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2023 02:07 PM

Hello community members. 

I want to take a quick moment to update this old thread regarding Splunk integration with  CA 7. We have the CA 7 Rest API available that can be used as an integration point between Splunk and CA 7. Earlier in this thread (4 yrs ago), I talked about using the CA 7 TCPIP Java program interface. I would highly recommend using the CA 7 Rest API instead or in place of the Java program interface. 

Below is a link to the documentation for the CA 7 Rest API:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-ca-7-edition/12-1/configuring/interfaces/ca-7-rest-api.html

Also, see Splunk link for calling rest api endpoints:

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/getting-data-from-your-rest-apis-into-splunk.html

• 11.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jul 14, 2023 03:10 PM

Hi Roderick Woods,

Thanks for sharing the details. I will check further. 

My goal is to get the details Job from CA7 queues such as REQ, ABEND, HELD, long run etc.. 

from this API are we able to get these details..? 

Thanks,

Rakesh

• 12.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 14, 2023 03:47 PM

Please see link below for a list of the services available in the CA 7 Rest API. Go near the bottom, and see the section labeled Job Instances (jobs in active workload) 

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-ca-7-edition/12-1/configuring/interfaces/ca-7-rest-api/services-available-in-ca-7-rest-api-12-1-01.html

• 13.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Posted Jul 14, 2023 05:06 PM

Hi Roderick Woods,

Thanks for the details, I will check further.  Do we have same setup for JOBTRAC..? 

Thanks,
    Rakesh

• 14.  RE: CA7 log with splunk intergration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2023 08:37 AM

No, we don't have a Rest API for Jobtrac. There are no plans to add restful services to Jobtrac.