CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How to "force complete" or #NOX a job in the Q that has not failed - to allow triggers/successors to run without intervention?

Posted Feb 18, 2019 11:33 AM

We had a situation last week where

Job1 had triggered Job2 into the Q

Job2 was waiting a job dependency for a job still to run

A job failed in a different flow - and part of the required resolution was to ask for Job2 on this side of things to be cancelled from the Q  - but also to ensure its 4 successor jobs did still run in their required times later in the sequence.

So there are 2 options -  1) Cancel Job 2 from the Q  - and set the 4 successor jobs to SKIP

2)  Cancel Job 2 from the Q and post the dependency on each of the 4 successor jobs as they each individually enter the Q.

Does anyone know of any more efficient solutions?

Ideally it would have been nice to just make Job2 #NOX post and allow it to take care of the successors - but I know you cannot add a #NOX to the QJCL

or even to just force complete the Job2 that was waiting in the Q  - however you cannot force complete a job which hasn't actually failed

• 2.  Re: How to "force complete" or #NOX a job in the Q that has not failed - to allow triggers/successors to run without intervention?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:34 AM

As you stated, you can't force complete a job that is not in restart status. You will have to manually post the successor jobs or you can do the following:

CANCEL,JOB=job2

DEMAND,JOB=job2,TYPE=RES

RESTART,JOB=job2,FORCECOMP=YES

The above will cancel job2, then demand job to in restart status and then you can force complete job2 and it will post downstream requirement jobs.

• 3.  Re: How to "force complete" or #NOX a job in the Q that has not failed - to allow triggers/successors to run without intervention?

Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:48 AM

Thank You Roderick - I think I prefer that suggested option, rather than manually posting/skipping the successors, as our operations team will be more familiar with those commands -and there is less chance of them missing a successor !

• 4.  Re: How to "force complete" or #NOX a job in the Q that has not failed - to allow triggers/successors to run without intervention?

Posted Mar 04, 2019 07:18 AM

Update the QJCL to run a dummy step. PGM=IEFBR14 for example ?

• 5.  Re: How to "force complete" or #NOX a job in the Q that has not failed - to allow triggers/successors to run without intervention?

Posted May 09, 2019 10:23 AM

I do it the way Roderick pointed out.   It has seemed the least hazardous to the entire schedule in our shop.

Renate