CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Posted May 08, 2019 07:07 AM

I have one job that needs two files in before it runs. I had this set to have one file trigger the job and then the second file as a requirement to the job, The programmer insisted that both files be set in the trigger screen so both files trigger the job.

• 2.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2019 08:11 AM

Hi Lennie,

Could you select proper "Category" to indicate the product name of the scheduling manager?

Thank you,

Lucy

• 3.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Posted May 08, 2019 08:25 AM

Hi, 

Warning on this. 

I believe this question relates to ESP. But it is similar for the other schedulers. 

The problem happens if file "A" arrives today but file "B" never does. Then tomorrow,  file "B" arrives first, the job starts.  It will be triggered earlier than expected OR possibly it will run with one file from yesterday and one from today.  This out of sync condition will continue until someone realizes it. 

In ESP....

If this is at the event level, I would not do it. There is not an easy way to flag that the second file did not arrive today. 

If it is at the application level then it is critical that overdue notifications happen if file "A" or "B" file did not show up. Someone needs to take action. Why didn't the second file show up and what needs to be done. 

Overall, I would avoid this situation if at all possible.  It is not a good practice and will cause a headache sooner or later. 

Let me know if I "missed the boat" 

Don

• 4.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Posted May 08, 2019 08:29 AM

I am dealing with CA7, I may have chosen a wrong community that I posed the question to

• 5.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2019 08:42 AM

Hi Lennie,

This community is for ESP and CA7 and some other products.

I just added the category 'CA Workload Automation CA 7 Edition'. And the right group of people will respond.

Sorry for the confusion.

Lucy

• 6.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?

Posted May 08, 2019 09:25 AM

Hi, 

The same situation applies. It is critical to notify someone that a file has not arrived and take action. Otherwise, files from two separate days can cause the job to start. 

A CA-7 person may be able to speak to specifics. 

• 7.  Re: Is it advisable to have one job triggered by two different files?
    Best Answer

Posted May 09, 2019 10:16 AM

The way that the programmer wants the job triggered means that IF both files come in one day then the job will run twice.   As long as that is ok with the programmer then go for it.   I have a couple of places where a job is triggered by 3 or more different events.   As long as the programmer puts the file in mod on mode then it works.

Renate