Edited by Lenn Thompson Oct 22, 2021 09:26 AM
    Dear All,

Do we have Admin guide available?

• 2.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2021 04:52 PM

Hello Dayanand,

You may want to review "Operating" and "Programming" manuals for information that should be known by ESP admin:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/operating.html

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/programming.html

Following is about ESP healthcheck configuration:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/installing-and-configuring/ca-wa-esp-edition-health-checks.html

Based on my support experience, I would suggest below:

- Set up console message monitoring (like using OPS/MVS) for critical ESP error messages, like 528E, 1072W, 1070W etc. Note: the last two messages are for the ESP file usage. Many of the severe problems are related to ESP files filled up. 

- Routinely run ESP utilities to clean up ESP files, like CYBESUT7 & CYBESUT8;

- Routinely run PURGSCHF/PURGAPPL to keep the CSF/Application panel manageable;

- Make sure the two temporary files in history archive JOB have enough space, so that this JOB won't fail.

- If it's an ESP test system, which means users can ignore the failure/errors after their tests, you may want to check routinely and force complete the aged incomplete workloads or let your users do so.

Just some thoughts, 

Lucy

• 3.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Posted Oct 28, 2021 01:19 PM
    Hi Lucy,

This is helpfull, Can you please suggest some more standard things need to done as a part of health check.

• 4.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Posted Oct 29, 2021 09:11 AM
    Hi,  I don't recall ever having to run either cybsut7 and/or cybsut8  for any file usage issues (fortunately), but I do
    see these five 1072W messages in the ESP r11.4 JESMSGLG:

ESP1072W 16% CI usage, 100% CA usage, 1 extent, Dsn=TSGEN.JSS03DB.USERDEF.DATA
    ESP1072W 22% CI usage, 100% CA usage, 1 extent, Dsn=TSGEN.JSS03DB.INDEX.DATA
    ESP1072W 65% CI usage, 95% CA usage, 1 extent, Dsn=TSGEN.JSS03DB.JOBINDEX.DATA
    ESP1072W 66% CI usage, 97% CA usage, 5 extents, Dsn=TSGEN.JSS03DF.JOBSTATS.DATA
    ESP1072W 54% CI usage, 100% CA usage, 22 extents, Dsn=TSGEN.JSS03DB.EVENT1.DATA

I'm not adept when it comes to vsam, but I believe the CA % usage being 100% is not necessarily anything to be alarmed at.
    At what CI% or extents percentages would you suggest we act?   And would one run both CYBESUT7 & CYBESUT8?

• 5.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2021 10:40 AM

Hi Mike,

The CI and CA % should be for the currently used extent if the VSAM file has any extent. You can run IDCAMS LISTCAT ALL to check more.  And following online doc has more explanation on this message:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/messages/1072w.html

As you may already know, ESP constantly reads/updates the above ESP files, especially JOBINDEX and JOBSTATS.

For better performance, we recommend having any extent or few extent for VSAM files. Ideally the ESP VSAM file should use only primary allocation with usage less than 70%.

If you haven't run CYBESUT7 and CYBESUT8 before, I suggest that you run them in ANALYZE mode to check if there are many obsolete records are eligible for deletion.  They are meant to delete the records for applications or jobs that haven't run for long time. If none or few records satisfy, then they can't delete many records in JOBINDEX and JOBSTATS files.

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 6.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2021 10:21 AM

Hi Nitin,

I will raise this topic in our next team meeting and see if more should be added.

Thank you,

Lucy

• 7.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Posted Feb 23, 2022 10:48 AM
    Hi Lucy,
    Thanks for response.Would request for inputs if any.

• 8.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 23, 2022 10:51 AM

Hi Nitin,

Yes. Please refer to the comments below from my teammate Richard Baber. 

Thank you,

Lucy

• 9.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2021 11:32 AM

Hi Nitin,

A long time ago I was a customer who was the ESP admin at our site. I would run the following JCL at the beginning of every shift so that I had a snapshot of my ESP environment every 8 hrs. This allowed me to track if any changes we performed during a shift. It would also let me trend workload. I would write them to GDGs so I could go back in time if needed. Hope this helps 

//STEP1 EXEC PGM=ESP,REGION=3000K,PARM='SUB(????) ****' ???? ===> Your ESP subsystem
    //STEPLIB DD DISP=SHR,DSN=ESP.CD7YLOAD ===> Your Loadlib
    //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
    //*SYSPRINT DD DSN=ESP.LIST2,
    //* DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
    //* SPACE=(CYL,(300,1),RLSE),UNIT=SYSDA,
    //* DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=132)
    //SYSIN DD *
    L LEVEL(-.-) ALL
    LCSF STATUS='WAITING-'
    OPER ESPCOM DEST(-)
    OPER AGENT -;
    LISTHOL -;
    RESDEF - LIST
    VTLIST
    PASSWORD LIST
    LISTCKPT
    LISTQ
    LISTHIST
    OPER LISTAPTF
    OPER LISTTRAK
    OPER TRACKING
    LISTSYML -;
    LISTCAL -;
    ROUTING
    //

• 10.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Posted Feb 07, 2022 02:43 PM
    Hey, Rick! could I do that trend report for a time in the past? I know you said you would keep gdg's to go back but wondered if I could track changes we did that has already passed? I which I would have seen this a month or two ago.  :( ​

• 11.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 10, 2022 07:55 AM

Hi Kathy,

This job and commands are designed to take a live snapshot of the system at the time of execution. I would run this every 8 hours and write to a GDG. This was so I could go back to see status from the past and help pinpoint when something changed. Once a change is made it is difficult to look in the past. There could be entires written to the JESMSGLG or AUDITLOG of ESP. You could go back to look at the STC output from the past and possibly find commands that may have been entered. However this job will give more detail and stored for easy comparison. Let me know if you would like to talk about this and I can give you a call.
    Thanks,

Rick Baber 

• 12.  RE: Housekeeping/Health Check of CA ESP

Posted Feb 10, 2022 01:16 PM
    ​Thanks Rick! We just did a big cutover and had hundreds of changes! I wish I would have saw this about 2 months ago. LOL! I got the job to work and see the output in the job but the file was empty so still working on that. I might some time next week if you want to talk for 30 min or so ???