ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Is it possible to have jobs interact with one another?

Posted Feb 18, 2020 05:24 PM
    ​All,

I have had a few of our developers ask me this recently, so I thought I would post this question here.  Is it possible to somehow have agents interact with each other?  For example, could a job send it's output to another job?  Could a job create set a variable who's value gets passed to another job as an argument? Is it possible for a job to interact with agent in such away, that as steps are completed, various resources within ESP could be changed per step? 

I realize that some of this can be done in web services jobs and in mainframe jobs.  However, the developer in question writes jobs for AIX and Linux. 

Finally, I am including a link below.  I realize that this article is for another scheduling product, but it was sent to me by the developer to illustrate what he is trying to do:

https://www.hcltechsw.com/wps/portal/products/workload-automation

Unleash your workload with loops and advanced variable passing

WORKLOAD AUTOMATION COMMUNITY remove preview
    Unleash your workload with loops and advanced variable passing
    If you chose to read this article, you are probably looking for a smart way to arrange workload definitions in your enterprise and make your workflows more dynamic.
    View this on WORKLOAD AUTOMATION COMMUNITY >

Thank you in advance for your advice!
    Jonathan Calloway

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to have jobs interact with one another?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2020 10:23 AM
    Hi Jonathan,

Hope following information helps.

Q. Is it possible to somehow have agents interact with each other? For example, could a job send it's output to another job?
    A. Yes. For example, agent wob A generates output to STDOUT, then wob B can retrieve the STDOUT file name thru WOBDATA, and use it.
    Q. Could a job create set a variable who's value gets passed to another job as an argument?
    A. Yes, ESP variables can be used for any wob, including AIX wob or Linux wob. You can use symbolic variables, global variables or data_object variables.
    Q. Is it possible for a job to interact with agent in such away, that as steps are completed, various resources within ESP could be changed per step?
    A. Yes. You can add ESPmgr command in the agent wob script. This utility can be used to set ESP resources.

Thank you,

Lucy

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to have jobs interact with one another?

Posted Feb 19, 2020 11:02 AM
    ​Lucy,

This is a great start, and food for though.  Would you be willing to send some examples and perhaps some links to get us started, obviously at your convenience.

Thanks!
    Jonathan