ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  filename path limited to 128 characters

Posted Sep 23, 2021 01:03 PM
    ESP limits the file path name for linux & windows files to 128 characters. 

Syntax Description for Full FILENAME Statement
    • file_name
    Specifies the path to and name of the file to monitor.
    Limits: Up to 128 characters; case-sensitive
    UNIX/Windows: You can use wildcards and spaces in your UNIX and Windows file names and paths.

The maximum length of a Linux pathname is 256 characters. In the <g-bubble jscontroller="QVaUhf" data-ci="" data-du="200" data-tp="5" jsaction="R9S7w:VqIRre;" jsshadow="">Windows API</g-bubble> the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.  I am requesting an enhancement to ESP to increase the maximum file path names from 128 to 260.  

------------------------------
    John Malczyk
    IT Systems Engineer Sr.
    Progressive Insurance
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: filename path limited to 128 characters
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2021 01:30 PM
    Hi John,

You Posted this request in the Group Chat which is good for feedback from others using ESP. Since our customer normally opens  Enhancement Requests  I found it located under the "Ideas"  tab.  Since you had submitted in the chat, I opened and submitted the enhancement for you. 

I opened up the Enhancement request for you:

Submitted – Open By Daniel Villarreal

ESP limits the file path name for linux & windows files to 128 characters.

Syntax Description for Full FILENAME Statement
    • file_name
    Specifies the path to and name of the file to monitor.
    Limits: Up to 128 characters; case-sensitive
    UNIX/Windows: You can use wildcards and spaces in your UNIX and Windows file names and paths.

The maximum length of a Linux pathname is 256 characters. In the Windows API the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters.  I am requesting an enhancement to ESP to increase the maximum file path names from 128 to 260.  

John Malczyk
    Contact Phone:440-395-0761
    IT Systems Engineer Sr.
    Progressive Insurance

Thx,
    Daniel Villarreal
    Technical Support Engineer  | Mainframe Software Division
    Broadcom

office: 469-469-3872
    5465 Legacy Drive Suite 700 | Plano, TX 75024-3106  

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

• 3.  RE: filename path limited to 128 characters

Posted Sep 23, 2021 04:20 PM

Thank You Daniel!