ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  DSTRIG on file update only

Posted Jan 27, 2020 01:23 PM
    Have a user asking:

Can I have a DSTRIG that is limited to a type 15 record?

I want the event to trigger only on an update or a create of a given dataset, but not on an open/close without writing to it. If I code "ANYCLOSE" to catch the update of the DS, it triggers even when the dataset is opened/closed without being written to.

In summary, I want to trigger the event only on an update.

Looking at the DSTRIG documentation, it looks like it is possible, but I don't know how to go about coding it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Frank
    Infrastructure Analyst
    John Deere
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: DSTRIG on file update only
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2020 03:01 PM

Hi Frank,

I suspect that the program has OPEN the dataset as OUTPUT, which will create a type 15 SMF record, even nothing was updated. You may check if it's the case. Or you can open a support case and we can check for you. 

And as the doc says clearly, ESP ONLY looks for SMF 15 records for non-VSAM file with ANYCLOSE option:

SMF records
    Type 15
    Generated when a non-VSAM data set is closed, after having been opened for output. A new data set might have been created (DISP=NEW) or an existing data set might have been rewritten or updated (DISP=OLD or MOD).
    If ANYCLOSE is specified in the DSTRIG statement, the event is triggered when CA WA ESP Edition detects a type 15 record. If ANYCLOSE is not specified, the event is triggered for a data set creation and the event is not triggered for a data set update.
    CA WA ESP Edition ignores type 15 records for end-of-volume (EOV) processing or VIO or temporary data sets.

----------------

Hope this helps,

Lucy