ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Job running late or other notifications across lpars

Posted May 04, 2021 08:11 AM
    Good morning all,
    I currently have an application that consists of 3 jobs.  The first is located on our production LPAR after that completes and using the external scheduler it releases job#2 on the Tech1 LPAR.  After that job finishes it releases the 3rd and final job on the Production side. 
    What I am trying to find out is if there is a practical way that if the 2nd job was running late on the Tech1 side, or its overdue if there is a way to notify the NOC team who only monitors the Production side of things?

• 2.  RE: Job running late or other notifications across lpars

Posted May 04, 2021 08:30 AM

Does using an OVERDUE statement and a NOTIFY statement on Job 3 provide what you need?

DUEOUT EXEC <TIME>

NOTIFY OVERDUE USER(<USER>)       

NOTIFY OVERDUE ALERT(<ALERT>)         

If you use the second NOTIFY statement you will also need to create the ALERT.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/12-0/reference/statements/notify-statement-notify-users-or-consoles.html

------------------------------
    Senior Systems Analyst
    UPS
    United States
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Job running late or other notifications across lpars

Posted May 04, 2021 08:30 AM

If job 2 is the only dependency for Job three and this application runs pretty routinely, then you could use a latesub statement on job three.

One condition that needs to be steady state is that job three needs to have a pretty steady execution time meaning it kicks off say at 2 pm routinely. If this is the case and job 2 is the only dependency then the latesub statement would be simple to implement indicating that if job three is late then there is an issue with job 2.

I am making a few assumptions here, but this seems to be the simplest way to me.

Dustin Neely
    DevOps Analyst/Certified Automation button pusher

W 423.535.5784
    M 423.208.6255
    E Dustin_Neely@bcbst.com
    www.bcbst.com

Batch Scheduling Wiki

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail disclaimer: https://www.bcbst.com/about/our-company/corporate-governance/privacy-security/email-policy.page

• 4.  RE: Job running late or other notifications across lpars

Posted May 05, 2021 08:03 AM

Thank you for the help and feedback, I will try both methods.  Job 2 does run at 6am everyday, and only runs for on average less than 1 minute so the latesub is a good solution as well. 

Last question (at least for now), say I have a job on the Tech1 LPAR that is not a predecessor to any jobs on the Production LPAR.  What method could I use to notify the NOC if the job runs into an issue on Tech1?

• 5.  RE: Job running late or other notifications across lpars

Posted May 05, 2021 08:29 AM

Not sure what notification systems are available to your NOC but assuming they have a Distribution list email you could setup and alert for the non monitored LPAR and have that alert send an email to that DL for the issues you define!

Dustin Neely
    DevOps Analyst/Certified Automation button pusher

W 423.535.5784
    M 423.208.6255
    E Dustin_Neely@bcbst.com
    www.bcbst.com

Batch Scheduling Wiki

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail disclaimer: https://www.bcbst.com/about/our-company/corporate-governance/privacy-security/email-policy.page