ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  ESP simulate for a date range

Posted Jan 16, 2020 12:25 AM
    Is it possible to run a simulation for for a date range.

I want to run a simulation to check what days the job/s would be scheduled say for the month of February 2020.

If I execute the following -:

SIMULATE EVENT(ESPVP.SCHED) SCHED(FEB)

I only get the results displayed for FEBRUARY 1ST 2020.

Is there an option to simulate the runs for the full month of February 2020.

The contents of the PROC invoked by the event are -:

APPL VPTEST01
    JCLLIB ESPVP.JCLLIB
    JOB VPTEST01
       EARLY SUB 07:00
       RUN DAILY
       NORUN MONDAY
       NORUN 25TH OF MONTH
       NORUN LAST SATURDAY OF MONTH
    ENDJOB

Basically I want to check whats days of the month the job will be scheduled do I specify the exact dates to the SIMULATE command, Is there an option to specify a date range ?
    Above is just one simple example we have several complex scheduling criteria I want to simulate to check when the jobs will run.

• 2.  RE: ESP simulate for a date range
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 08:29 AM

Hello,

Yes, you can run SADGEN/LSAR report. They allow you to specify a date range.

For example, you can use following in batch JCL:
    SADGEN DATASET('CYBER.SAD') -
    FROM('00.00 Feb 1ST') TO('23.59 Feb 29') -
    EVENTSET(EVENT1) -
    LEVEL(ESPVP)

LSAR DSN('CYBER.SAD') JOB(VPTEST01) -
    FROM('00.00 Feb 1ST UNTIL 23.59 Feb 29') TIMESEQ

Note: in SADGEN, you can only specify the event prefix on LEVEL, so it will simulate all events with prefix ESPVP.

See more on following online doc links:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/11-4/reference/commands/sadgen-command-create-data-set-for-reports.html
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/automation/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/11-4/reference/commands/lsar-command-list-scheduled-activity-report.html

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 3.  RE: ESP simulate for a date range

Posted Apr 08, 2020 03:27 PM
      |   view attached

I'm a little late replying to this thread, but wanted to offer an alternative.

We do not use SADGEN in our environment.

I looked at the TEST and NEXT commands to see if they would help but then do not take into account the NORUN statements.

I created an ESP PROC with a VPTEST01 Job with the same RUN/NORUN statements you used.

I created a simple REXX CSF Extension in the attached file.

To SIMULATE Feb 1, 2020 to Mar 1, 2020 the formatted output:

EVENT ESPVP.SCHED                                                       

Simulation Date                JobName    Selection Status   
    ============================== ========== =====================================
    SATURDAY FEBRUARY 1ST, 2020    VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SUNDAY FEBRUARY 2ND, 2020      VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 3RD, 2020      (NONE)     NO JOBS SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION      
    TUESDAY FEBRUARY 4TH, 2020     VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 5TH, 2020   VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    THURSDAY FEBRUARY 6TH, 2020    VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    FRIDAY FEBRUARY 7TH, 2020      VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8TH, 2020    VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SUNDAY FEBRUARY 9TH, 2020      VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 10TH, 2020     (NONE)     NO JOBS SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION      
    TUESDAY FEBRUARY 11TH, 2020    VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 12TH, 2020  VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    THURSDAY FEBRUARY 13TH, 2020   VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    FRIDAY FEBRUARY 14TH, 2020     VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15TH, 2020   VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SUNDAY FEBRUARY 16TH, 2020     VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 17TH, 2020     (NONE)     NO JOBS SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION      
    TUESDAY FEBRUARY 18TH, 2020    VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19TH, 2020  VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    THURSDAY FEBRUARY 20TH, 2020   VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21ST, 2020     VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    SATURDAY FEBRUARY 22ND, 2020   VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    FRIDAY FEBRUARY 21ST, 2020     VPTEST01   1 JOB SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION       
    MONDAY FEBRUARY 24TH, 2020     (NONE)     NO JOBS SELECTED FOR SUBMISSION             

------------------------------
    Senior Systems Analyst
    UPS
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)