ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  can we safely compress espparm parmlib

Posted Feb 07, 2019 12:31 PM

Hi,  dumb question:  Does the ESP v11.4 started task continually read the //espparm parmlib after it comes up or is it pretty much the started task reads it only upon bring up the master/proxies or if issuing a pagemode command like

oper loadagdf  etc.

Our espparm parmlib is getting high on extends (its not a pdse) and needs a compressing.

I'd need to know if we can safely compress it without quiescing or anything 

thanks

• 2.  Re: can we safely compress espparm parmlib

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:38 PM

Hi,

We recommend having ESP down to compress the parmlib. Normally it is allocated to both ESP and the ESP Workstation server started tasks. Normally there aren't many updates after ESP starts,  but commands like LOADAGDF and LOADJTDT do update members in parmlib. 

It would be possible to unallocate it from ESP and ESPWSS and compress it and reallocate it without much risk. But there is some risk to this. 

Note: 

After having PDSEs get corrupted multiple times I am not a huge fan. Others will probably disagree with me on this and say they are the best thing since sliced bread. I will say they have made great improvements over the years.   

Don

• 3.  Re: can we safely compress espparm parmlib

Posted Feb 07, 2019 01:49 PM

Hi Don.  ouch...didn't expect to hear that esp needs to be down...we never ever have esp down (we have the high-availability piece).   We are the definitive 24x7 shop.   Let me press a little on this......the number of folks here that would ever issue any kind of command (such as any of the load* commands in pagemode) is very limited and I can tell them to desist for a few minutes while a compress of the parmib (with disp=shr.........I know that also is 'bending the rules' of doing disp=old  but we just cannot do that on everything..we sometimes simply must make a backup of the pds and do a compress using disp=shr and take our chances )

Other than the misc pagemode commands, what else would the ESP started tasks (master, shadow, proxies, workstation) need to access the parmlib for?

p.s  I agree with you on pdse...a necessary evil at times but would rather not if I can avoid them)

thanks

• 4.  Re: can we safely compress espparm parmlib
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 07, 2019 02:25 PM

Hi Mike, 

I understand the 24x7 thing..... There should be minimal risk. ESP is not using this for normal operations. 

DISP=SHR should be OK. I tried it out without any bad effects.  

I would take a backup just in case. Best practice. 

Don

• 5.  Re: can we safely compress espparm parmlib

Posted Feb 07, 2019 02:29 PM

thanks Don.  '  I always appreciate your help/advice

best,