ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Posted Jan 28, 2019 02:35 PM

I have a customer that would like to take two Linux jobs and pipe data between them such that one Linux job creates a data pipe on one machine (agent) and another job consumes the output of that data pipe but on another machine (agent)?  We have looked at using JOBDATA for this.  However, it seems to only apply to successor jobs of completed jobs, not running jobs that would pass data streams to other jobs. 

• 2.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:22 PM

Hi Jonathan,

There is no such limitation.

As the Example below, the three jobs can run at the same time:

JOBDATA Statement: Retrieve Data from Workload Object - CA Workload Automation ESP Edition - 11.4 - CA Technologies Docu… 

Lucy

• 3.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:23 PM

That's sounds like a scary question. 

I would ask them to tell me what they need/want to do.  Are they looking to pass one chunk of data or are they looking to do more of a peer-to-peer communication.

ESP Agents do not communicate directly with other agents.    

Without ESP can they pipe the output from Job 1 on Server A to Job 2 on Server B?

What is the Operating System type that they need to do this on?

• 4.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:36 PM

He is wanting ESP to handle output in a similar way to what netcat would do, but on two separate servers.  The OS is RHEL 7.

• 5.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:33 PM

Hi Jonathan, 

It is possible. To make it work like the client needs they would need to use JMS queues. See the link below for a brief description. 

There are job types JMSP-JOB and JMSS_JOB to publish and subscribe to the queues. then jobs can be publishing to the queue at the same time jobs are subscribing(reading) from the queue.  I have to say that this can take some work to set up. 

Understand JMS Publish and JMS Subscribe Jobs - CA Workload Automation ESP Edition - 11.4 - CA Technologies Documentatio… 

Don 

• 6.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?

Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:37 PM

Don,

I offered this as a solution, and was told that this is what he does not want to do.  For this, he feels he could just do the whole thing in MQ Series directly, which he feels would be more complicated than what he is thinking ESP should be able to do.

• 7.  Re: ESP Is it possible to use ESP to build multi agent pipelines?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 28, 2019 03:46 PM

JMSP_JOB and JMSS_JOB have the same functionality as MQ. I think it is easier to handle it in MQ. It can be beneficial for ESP to manage it is when it is a piece of a larger schedule and it needs to be coordinated in the larger picture. 

Normally I would say that it is best not to have application or client data going through ESP or agents.  I think it is a better to use something like MQ/JBOSS/.... so the two applications are passing the data directly to each other. 

Don