ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?

Posted Dec 12, 2016 11:16 AM

I'm somewhat of a newbie to CA7, being asked to take on an administrative/engineering role. There is an initiative to try to spread the batch workload across multiple LPAR's. I've used another Workload Automation Product that includes native functionality to define all of the LPAR's within the SYSPLEX and set the product to submit jobs in a "Round Robin" type fashion to the different LPAR's. I've looked through the CA7 Documentation and I cannot find any such native functionality. So my question is really two fold...1. Does CA7 have this capability and I'm just not seeing it ? 2. If it doesn't, does ESP or dSeries include this functionality ?

• 2.  Re: Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 14, 2016 10:37 AM

CA 7 does not route jobs to LPARS--it just submits JCL to JES and JES 'decides' where the job will run.

• 3.  Re: Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?

Posted Dec 14, 2016 12:06 PM

Thanks Marysue. I didn't think it did, but wanted to ask someone more versed in the product than I am.

• 4.  Re: Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 14, 2016 01:51 PM

Hi Lowell,

ESP has a feature called "IBM WLM Workload Balancing", ESP can be configured to route the batch jobs to the lpar with most available WLM service units:

You can define a resource representing the number of service units a job uses. These resources are called WLM resources and are used for IBM WLM workload balancing within a sysplex, based on the feedback from WLM queries. When CA WA ESP Edition determines that the number of service units the job uses is available on more than one system in the sysplex, CA WA ESP Edition uses the feedback from IBM WLM queries to route the job on the system with the most available service units. The availability of other resources can affect how CA WA ESP Edition selects the best system for the job.

See "User's Guide" -> "Chapter 10: Using Resources"->"Workload Balancing" for more detail. 

Lucy

• 5.  Re: Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?

Posted Nov 10, 2017 09:47 AM

Sorry for the very delayed response Lucy, but I got pulled off into other projects and CA7 got left behind for awhile. I am currently trying to convince our Sr Mgmt that we really should be planning a path to ESP. This is one more advantage I can provide to them. Thank you !

• 6.  Re: Spreading Batch Workload across multiple LPAR's with CA7 ?

Posted Dec 19, 2016 09:45 AM

I have to ask if the LPAR's are shared DASD or not?  Because I have CA7 set up in different fashions to support the many LPAR's that I have.  

One set up has multiple LPARs that are shared, and for most occasions the jobs can run on anyone of them, but there a few jobs that have to run on a specific LPAR and that can be set up in MAINID (in the job definition) to direct the job to that specific LPAR. 

Another instance of CA7 is set up on one LPAR but also does a submit to another LPAR.

So I do not think there is a cut and dry answer to your question because there are so many variables on how CA7 can be configured.

Phon